Thomas Vogt wrote:

Hi

I'm very confused with sasl and cyrus. All my users are in a ldap
database.

I can't authenticate with imtest. I searched the mailing list archiv.

My enviroment ist very basic.

my saslauth.conf
ldap_servers: ldap://soho
ldap_search_base: ou=people,ou=lan,dc=lan,dc=ch
ldap_filter: (|(uid=%u)(mailacceptinggeneralid=%u))

My ldap works.

soho# testsaslauthd -u sohotest -p testsoho
0: OK "Success.

But when I try to do imtest it doesn't work

soho# imtest -m plain -a sohotest -w testsoho
WARNING: no hostname supplied, assuming localhost

S: * OK soho Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.10 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND
BINARY SORT THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES ANNOTATEMORE IDLE
LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED
S: C01 OK Completed
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
S: A01 NO encryption needed to use mechanism
Authentication failed. generic failure
Security strength factor: 0

and the logfile shows:
Dec  8 12:33:35 soho imap[52411]: badlogin: localhost [127.0.0.1] PLAIN
[SASL(-16): encryption needed to use mechanism: security flags do not
match required]

This is telling you that the PLAIN mechanism is not available (notice that you have no 'AUTH=xxx' capabilities advertised) unless a security layer is in place (e.g. TLS). SInce STARTTLS isn't advertised, you don't have it configured. You could test your config using the IMAP LOGIN command:

imtest -m login -a sohotest -w testsoho

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
---