Joseph Brennan wrote:

Ken Murchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It would be fairly straightforward to have an option that updated \Seen
state whenever a POP3 client issues a RETR command or an NNTP client
issues a BODY or ARTICLE command.

I'm on the fence whether this makes sense for POP.  But we've used
U Wash for a long time and marking them as seen has not raised any
questions that I can recall, so that behavior must be what users
expect or accept.

Does UW simply mark the messages as \Seen after a RETR? I don't see any other way to determine if the user has actually read the message.

> The braintwister is that POP
mark deleted and IMAP mark deleted don't need to be the same thing,
so maybe POP expunge and IMAP expunge don't need to be the same thing
either.

If we do something with IMAP flags, I'd like to make the above thing equivalent. Otherwise I don't see much point.

The practical problem is that POP-only users would have no way to
really expunge if DELE and QUIT don't do it, so they'd accumulate
mail until they run out of quota.  And then what do they do?

Right, which is why we need a way to allow POP3-only users to continue business as usual. Presumably, by a mailbox annotation which would disable the global pop3_use_imapflags option.

--
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer