Hi,

--On 14. Dezember 2005 08:57:01 -0500 "John P. Speno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi, my name is John, and I'm a former unix sys admin but I gave it up  to
be a programmer (yay python!). Now I'm back in the sys admin game  for a
small family business that needs to scale its order management  system
better and I think cyrus and IMAP is just the thing, but I  just wanted
to get a little feedback.

All orders a now tracked in an Apple Mail.app POP account so there's
thousands of locally stored folders containing mail messages on one
machine (backed up nightly of course).

I need to share that among several machines now so many people can
process the inbox and arrange the folders as needed. That's basically
IMAP, right?

yes.

Beyond that, my concerns are performance and backups. Since the IMAP
server will be out on the net, I assume Mail.app's local caching will
make searching the mail as fast as it is now. Any clue?

If you use Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4) it works very well due to Spotlight, although it's not really the way IMAP is "meant to be". The IMAP way would be to do the searches server-side. Mail.app is not very good at that. But that doesn't have to concern you.

But what about backups? Supposing I lost the server and it's mail.  Would
I be able to reconstruct it from the locally cached copy in  Mail.app?

I don't know.

Cheers, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK