According to our field support here, this bug is fixed by downloading
and applying all of the Service Pack updates.  That is a really good
idea anyway so harm done.

I would like to know whether Outlook continues to have trouble after
that.  If so please let us know what version has the trouble.

Cyrus is not doing anything wrong.  Not only does the protocol allow
numbers to vary in length, but the example in the RFC shows numbers
of different lengths!

Joseph Brennan