On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Marten Lehmann wrote:

because NFS is the only standard network file protocol. I don't want to load a proprietary driver into the kernel to access a SAN device.

Fair enough, although NFS is likely to be really rather slow compared to a block device which just happens to be accessed via a fibre channel link.

I would be surprised if NFS worked given that it is only a approximation to a "real" Unix filesystem. Cyrus really hammers the filesystem.

I've heard horror stories about all the common Linux filesystems and I've personally watched fsck.ext3 (supposedly the safest option) unravel a filesystem, with thousands of entries left in lost+found.

ext3 with journal? I have never experienced this.

It was in a RAID set which had had a dodgy disk, but there was a definite urk moment when I saw what fsck had done. Fortunately not critical data.

ZFS looks nice.

Well, but you are on your own because this project for linux is pretty young.

I don't have any problem with OpenSolaris, though it would be a little amusing given that we moved from Solaris to Linux about 4 years back.

--
David Carter                             Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502