Replication looks to be the solution. Surprisingly I hadn't discovered
it on my own. Many thanks to everyone for pointing it out!

However, while setting it up, I noticed a really weird thing. When
authentication fails on the master-initiated master->slave connection,
master will block connections from all clients! That's a seriously
weird design choice. Does the same thing happen when the slave goes
down? For example, if I reboot the slave, is the master mail server
down for everyone while the slave reboots? I have not dared to
experiment as when authentication failed and the Cyrus master server
stopped letting clients connect, everyone in the office started
shouting within seconds.

Best,
Elver

elver.l...@gmail.com