Are you sure you've running a version of reconstruct which matches your installation? I ask because the man page for reconstruct from 2.3.16 shows both -r and -f as permissible:

   -r

   Recursively reconstruct all sub-mailboxes of the mailboxes or
   mailbox prefixes given as arguments.

   -f

   Examine the filesystem underneath mailbox, adding all directories
   with a cyrus.header found there as new mailboxes. Useful for
   restoring mailboxes from backups.

   from
   http://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.3.16/man/reconstruct.8.php

Depending upon how you installed Cyrus, from package or source, and which OS/distro you're using, there may be versions of binary utilities laying around from older versions of the software. We've certainly seen that before.

Cheers,
    -nic