I'm finally getting around to updating the Arch linux cyrus-imapd package, and have a question.

Looking through the configuration options, it looks like there are a number of functionality critical decisions to be made:

CalDAV and CardDAV

    ./configure --enable-http --enable-calalarmd

Murder

    `./configure --enable-murder

Replication

    `./configure --enable-replication

The vast majority of cyrus admins are not going to need a Murder or Replication, but when you need it, you need it.

The issue is the Arch build system is based on using a single PKGBUILD file (which includes the configuration options) and one of the design principles is the outcome of building a binary package from a PKGBUILD should be deterministic; i.e. "A PKGBUILD should never be interactive. This is a rule that should never be broken."

So, my options are to create a single package configured for every possible use case, or to create multiple packages with different combinations of functionality, which suffers from something of a combinatorial explosion problem.

So, question, given that none of the configuration options appear to be mutually exclusive: what are the downsides of compiling cyrus with everything, including the kitchen sink? That appears to have been the original packaging philosophy for the 2.5.x version of the package.

Second question.  Quoting again from the documentation for 3.0.8:

    MariaDB or MySQL development headers, to allow Cyrus IMAP to use
    it as the backend for its databases.

Configure option: --with-mysql, --with-mysql-incdir, --with-mysql-libdir

The 2.5.x package did not include any configuration flags for mysql support. Does this mean the older package would not have worked with mysql (I've never tried using this, so can't confirm), or does it mean that this was previously a default configuration option in 2.5.x?
To Unsubscribe: