This is more of a curiosity question than a problem, as I finally figured out why authentication stopped working on my cyrus-imapd 2.5.12 server.

I use sasl in PAM mode: /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam

A recent Arch linux system upgrade broke authentication on my email server. The only related change was cyrus_sasl was updated from 2.1.26 to 2.1.27. After eliminating virtually every other possibility I finally tracked this down to the PAM configuration file for cyrus-imapd. The previous file (perhaps incorrectly) was simply this:

  auth  sufficient  pam_unix.so
  auth  required  pam_deny.so

I changed this to

  auth  sufficient  pam_unix.so
  auth  required  pam_deny.so
  account  required  pam_unix.so

which fixed the problem. I can understand the account entry being necessary for sasl authentication, but what I can't understand is why it was not necessary for 2.1.26, but subsequently necessary for 2.1.27 -- what changed that led to this?

To Unsubscribe: