HEARING regarding President Bush’s Proposal to Create A Department of Homeland Security

Thursday, June 20, 2002,  9:30am
106 Dirksen Senate Office Building

http://www.senate.gov/%7Egov_affairs/062002witness.htm

WITNESS LIST

Panel I

THE HONORABLE TOM RIDGE
Director
Office of Homeland Security

[Extracted from pdf file]

 Written Statement of Governor Tom Ridge

                                                      June 20, 2002

                       "The Department of Homeland Security:  Making Americans Safer"

Introduction

Chairman Lieberman, Senator Thompson, Committee Members, I very much appreciate the
opportunity to
testify
today in support of the President's historic proposal to create a new Department of
Homeland
Security.  I am here to
convey personally the President's deep desire to work with Congress on making
Americans safer
through this
government reorganization.  I look forward to responding to your questions after
providing a short
statement on the
proposed legislation and how it would make Americans safer.

Recently, the President signed an Executive Order appointing me as Director of the
Transition
Planning Office for
the Department of Homeland Security.  This new office will reside within the Office of
Management
and Budget.
While I will still retain the title of Assistant to the President and Homeland
Security Advisor, my
testimony today
will be given as the Director of this new entity.

The President's Proposal

On June 6, 2002, President Bush addressed the nation and put forth his vision to
create a permanent
Cabinet-level
Department of Homeland Security.  Two days ago, on June 18, 2002, I delivered to the
Congress the
President's
proposed legislation for establishing the new Department.  This is an historic
proposal.  It would
be the most
significant transformation of the U.S. government in over a half-century.  It would
transform and
largely realign the
government's confusing patchwork of homeland security activities into a single
department whose
primary mission
is to protect our homeland.  The proposal to create a Department of Homeland Security
is one more
key step in the
President's national strategy for homeland security.

It is crucial that we take this historic step.  At the beginning of the Cold War,
President Truman
recognized the need
to reorganize our national security institutions to meet the Soviet threat.  We
emerged victorious
from that
dangerous period thanks in part to President Truman's initiative.  Today we are
fighting a new war
against a new
enemy.  President Bush recognizes that the threat we face from terrorism requires a
reorganization
of government
similar in scale and urgency to the unification of the Defense Department and creation
of the CIA
and NSC.

Currently, no federal government department has homeland security as its primary
mission.  In fact,
responsibilities
for homeland security are dispersed among more than 100 different government
organizations.
Creating a unified
homeland security structure will align the efforts of many of these organizations and
ensure that
this crucial mission
­ protecting our homeland ­ is the top priority and responsibility of one department
and one Cabinet
secretary.

Immediately after last fall's attack, the President took decisive steps to protect
America ­ from
hardening cockpits
and stockpiling vaccines to tightening our borders.  The President used his legal
authority to
establish the White
House Office of Homeland Security and the Homeland Security Council to ensure that our
federal
response and
protection efforts were coordinated and effective.  The President also directed me, as
Homeland
Security Advisor, to
study the federal government as a whole to determine if the current structure allows
us to meet the
threats of today
while anticipating the unknown threats of tomorrow.  After careful study of the
current structure ­
coupled with the
experience gained since September 11 and new information we have learned about our
enemies while
fighting a war
­ the President concluded that our nation needs a more unified homeland security
structure.

                                                            1

                                    The Department of Homeland Security
                                                Proposed Organization

                                                            Secretary*
                      Secret Service
State, Local, and Private
                                                         Deputy Secretary
Sector Coordination

Border and Transportation                                                  Chemical,
Biological,
Information Analysis and
         Security                         Emergency
                                         Preparedness                   Radiological,
and Nuclear
Infrastructure Protection

Countermeasures
        Border Security                       Preparedness
Infrastructure
                                                                              Science
& Technology
         Transportation                         Mitigation
Development
Physical Assets

         Coast Guard                            Response
Chemical
Telecommunications

and Cybersecurity
      Immigration Services                          Recovery
Biological /
Agricultural

Threat Analysis
        Visa Processing
Radiological / Nuclear

                            Management

                      Human         Information
    *Legal /
Congressional / Public Affairs
                      Capital       Technology
    included
in Office of the Secretary

                 Finance           Procurement

 The Department of Homeland Security

 The creation of the Department of Homeland Security would empower a single Cabinet
official whose
primary
 mission is to protect the American homeland from terrorism.   The mission of the
Department would
be to:
  ·  Prevent terrorist attacks within the United States;
 ·  Reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism; and
 ·  Minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur.

 The Department of Homeland Security would mobilize and focus the resources of the
federal
government, state and
 local governments, the private sector, and the American people to accomplish its
mission.  It would
have a clear,
 efficient organizational structure with four divisions.

  ·  Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection
 ·  Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear Countermeasures
 ·  Border and Transportation Security
 ·  Emergency Preparedness and Response

 Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection

 The Information Analysis and Infrastructure Protection section of the Department of
Homeland
Security would
 complement the reforms on intelligence and information-sharing already underway at
the FBI and the
CIA.  The
 Department would analyze information and intelligence for the purpose of
understanding the
terrorist threat to the
 American homeland and foreseeing potential terrorist threats against the homeland.

                                                                   2

Furthermore, the Department would comprehensively assess the vulnerability of
America's key assets
and critical
infrastructures, including food and water systems, agriculture, health systems and
emergency
services, information
and telecommunications, banking and finance, energy (electrical, nuclear, gas and oil,
dams),
transportation (air,
road, rail, ports, waterways), the chemical and defense industries, postal and
shipping entities,
and national
monuments and icons.   Critically, the Department would integrate its own and others'
threat
analyses with its
comprehensive vulnerability assessment for the purpose of identifying protective
priorities and
supporting protective
steps to be taken by the Department, other federal departments and agencies, state and
local
agencies, and the private
sector.  Working closely with state and local officials, other federal agencies, and
the private
sector, the Department
would help ensure that proper steps are taken to protect high-risk potential targets.

In short, the Department would for the first time merge under one roof the capability
to identify
and assess threats to
the homeland, map those threats against our vulnerabilities, issue timely warnings,
and organize
preventive or
protective action to secure the homeland.

Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Countermeasures

The war against terrorism is also a war against the most deadly weapons known to
mankind ­ chemical,
biological,
radiological and nuclear weapons.  If the terrorists acquire these weapons, they will
use them with
consequences that
could be far more devastating than those we suffered on September 11th.  Currently,
our efforts to
counter the threat
of these weapons to the homeland are too few and too fragmented.  We must launch a
systematic
national effort
against these weapons that is equal to the threat they pose.

The President's proposed legislation would accomplish this goal.  It would authorize
the Department
of Homeland
Security to lead the federal government's efforts in preparing for and responding to
the full range
of terrorist threats
involving weapons of mass destruction.  To do this, the Department would set national
policy and
establish
guidelines for state and local governments.  It would direct exercises and drills for
federal,
state, and local chemical,
biological, radiological, and nuclear (CBRN) attack response teams and plans.  The
result of this
effort would be to
consolidate and synchronize the disparate efforts of multiple federal agencies
currently scattered
across several
departments.  This would create a single office whose primary mission is the critical
task of
protecting the United
States from catastrophic terrorism.

The Department would serve as a focal point for America's premier centers of
excellence in the
field.  It would
manage national efforts to develop diagnostics, vaccines, antibodies, antidotes, and
other
countermeasures.  It would
consolidate and prioritize the disparate homeland security related research and
development programs
currently
scattered throughout the Executive Branch.  It would also assist state and local
public safety
agencies by evaluating
equipment and setting standards.

Border and Transportation Security

Our number one priority is preventing future terrorist attacks.  Because terrorism is
a global
threat, we must attain
complete control over whom and what enters the United States in order to achieve this
priority.  We
must prevent
foreign terrorists from entering our country and bringing in instruments of terror.
At the same
time, we must
expedite the legal flow of people and goods on which our economy depends.

Protecting our borders and controlling entry to the United States has always been the
responsibility
of the Federal
government.  Yet, this responsibility is currently dispersed among more than five
major government
organizations in
five different departments.  Therefore, under the President's proposed legislation,
the Department
of Homeland
Security would for the first time unify authority over major federal security
operations related to
our borders,
territorial waters, and transportation systems.

 The Department would assume responsibility for operational assets of the United
States Coast Guard,
the United
States Customs Service, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (including the
Border Patrol),
the Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service, and the Transportation Security Administration.  The
Secretary of
Homeland
Security would have the authority to administer and enforce all immigration and
nationality laws,
including, through
the Secretary of State, the visa issuance functions of consular officers.  As a
result, the
Department would have sole

                                                            3

responsibility for managing entry into the United States and protecting our
transportation
infrastructure.  It would
ensure that all aspects of border control, including the issuing of visas, are
informed by a central
information-sharing
clearinghouse and compatible databases.

Emergency Preparedness and Response

Although our top priority is preventing future attacks, we cannot assume that we will
always
succeed.  Therefore, we
must also prepare to minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur.  The
President's
proposed
legislation would require the Department of Homeland Security to ensure the
preparedness of our
nation's
emergency response professionals, provide the federal government's emergency response
to terrorist
attacks and
natural disasters, and aid America's recovery.

To fulfill these missions, the Department would oversee federal government assistance
in the
domestic disaster
preparedness training of first responders and would coordinate the government's
disaster response
efforts.  The
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) would become a central component of the
Department of
Homeland Security, and the new Department would administer the grant programs for
firefighters,
police,
emergency personnel, and citizen volunteers currently managed by FEMA, the Department
of Justice,
and the
Department of Health and Human Services.  The Department would manage certain crucial
elements of
the federal
government's emergency response assets, such as the Strategic National Stockpile.  In
the case of an
actual or
threatened terrorist attack, major disaster, or other emergency, the Secretary of
Homeland Security
would have the
authority to call on other response assets, including Energy's and the EPA's Nuclear
Incident
Response teams, as
organizational units of the Department.  Finally, the Department would integrate the
federal
interagency emergency
response plans into a single, comprehensive, government-wide plan, and ensure that all
response
personnel have the
equipment and capability to communicate with each other as necessary.

State/Local Government & Private Sector Coordination

The Department of Homeland Security would consolidate and streamline relations on
homeland security
issues with
the federal government for America's state and local governments, as well as the
private sector.  It
would contain an
intergovernmental affairs office to coordinate federal homeland security programs with
state and
local officials.  It
would give state and local officials one primary contact instead of many when it comes
to matters
related to training,
equipment, planning, and other critical needs such as emergency response.

Secret Service

The Department of Homeland Security would incorporate the Secret Service, which would
report
directly to the
Secretary.  The Secret Service would remain intact and its primary mission will remain
the
protection of the
President and other government leaders.  The Secret Service would also continue to
provide security
for designated
national events, as it did for the recent Olympics and the Super Bowl.

Non-Homeland Security Functions

The Department of Homeland Security would have a number of functions that are not
directly related
to securing the
homeland against terrorism.  For instance, through FEMA, it would be responsible for
mitigating the
effects of
natural disasters.  Through the Coast Guard, it would be responsible for search and
rescue,
navigation, and other
maritime functions.  Several other border functions, such as drug interdiction
operations and
naturalization, and
would also be performed by the new Department.

White House Office of Homeland Security and Homeland Security Council

The President intends for the White House Office of Homeland Security and the Homeland
Security
Council to
continue to play a key role, advising the President and coordinating a vastly
simplified interagency
process.

Making Americans Safer

The Department of Homeland Security would make Americans safer because our nation
would have:

                                                           4

·  One department whose primary mission is to protect the American homeland;
·  One department to secure our borders, transportation sector, ports, and critical
infrastructure;
·  One department to integrate threat analyses and vulnerability assessments;
·  One department to coordinate communications with state and local governments,
private industry,
and the
     American people about threats and preparedness;
·  One department to coordinate our efforts to protect the American people against
bioterrorism and
other
     weapons of mass destruction;
·  One department to help train and equip for first responders;
·  One department to manage federal emergency response activities; and
·  More security officers in the field working to stop terrorists and fewer resources
in Washington
managing
     duplicative and redundant activities that drain critical homeland security
resources.

The New Department Would Improve Security Without Growing Government

The Department of Homeland Security must be an agile, fast-paced, and responsive
organization that
takes
advantage of 21st-century technology and management techniques to meet a 21st-century
threat.

The creation of a Department of Homeland Security would not "grow" government.  The
new Department
would be
funded within the total monies requested by the President in his FY 2003 budget
already before
Congress for the
existing components.  In fact, the President's FY 2003 budget will increase the
resources for the
component parts by
$14 billion over the FY 2002 budget.  We expect that the cost of the new elements
(such as the
threat analysis unit
and the state, local, and private sector coordination functions), as well as
department-wide
management and
administration units, can be funded from savings achieved by eliminating redundancies
inherent in
the current
structure.

In order to respond to rapidly changing conditions, the Secretary would need to have
great latitude
in re-deploying
resources, both human and financial.  The Secretary should have broad reorganizational
authority in
order to
enhance operational effectiveness, as needed.  Moreover, the President will request
for the
Department significant
flexibility in hiring processes, compensation systems and practices, and performance
management to
recruit, retain,
and develop a motivated, high-performance and accountable workforce.  Finally, the new
Department
should have
flexible procurement policies to encourage innovation and rapid development and
operation of
critical technologies
vital to securing the homeland.

Working Together to Create the Department of Homeland Security

President Bush recognizes that only the Congress can create a new department of
government.  During
his June 6th
address to the nation, the President asked Congress to join him in establishing a
single, permanent
department with
an overriding and urgent mission: securing the homeland of America, and protecting the
American
people.  I am
here to ask, as the President did, that we move quickly.  The need is urgent.
Therefore, the
President has asked
Congress to pass his proposal this year, before the end of the congressional session.

Preliminary planning for the new Department has already begun.  The formal transition
would begin
once Congress
acts on the President's proposed legislation and the President signs it into law.
Under the
President's plan, the new
Department would be established by January 1, 2003, with integration of some
components occurring
over a longer
period of time.  To avoid gaps in leadership coverage, the President's proposal
contemplates that
appointees who
have already been confirmed by the Senate would be able to transfer to new positions
without a
second confirmation
process.

During this transition period, the Office of Homeland Security will maintain vigilance
and continue
to coordinate the
other federal agencies involved in homeland security.  Until the Department of
Homeland Security
becomes fully
operational, the proposed Department's designated components will continue to operate
under existing
chains of
command.

                                                           5