Training & Simulation 2002:

Using COTS Products to Build Collective Skills: a really interesting
5 page article as it looks at the value of COTS military rotary-wing
flight simulations for the US army.  The article says COTS may be useful
in the following four areas:

* tactics
* techniques
* battle drills
* analysis of course of actions

The article concludes:

'Some would consider the use of computer games for military training
purposes as thinking 'out of the box' (unconventional thinking).
Computer games appear to have potential as complementary training tools
for existing and future training systems.  With dwindling resources, we
should at least consider the myriad possibilities that COTS simulations
have to offer.

[not online]

Maps To Information Superiority
The Rapid Terrain Visualization Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration

This briefing in World War II was recounted by British Field Marshall William
Slim: "The brigadier named four separate sheets of the one-inch map, and you are
to imagine a half a dozen field officers in a restricted space, each trying to
fit together four squares of paper. Some seated themselves and tried to spread
them over their knees, some to hold them against the wall. ... There was such a
rustling, flapping, and crackling, such an undertone of cursing, that we missed
the paragraph of the order headed, 'Information, our own and enemy forces.' "

Some might say "What's changed?" But it is going to take more than paper maps to
achieve our goal of information superiority. It will require high-resolution,
digital topographic data. Also, that data must be readily available for any
crisis region-a tall order since we don't know where that will be. And that data
must be depicted so that our forces can visualize the battlespace rapidly and
then act fast. Enter something called the "Rapid Terrain Visualization Advanced
Concept Technology Demonstration."

http://www.afji.com/ISR/Mags/2002/Issue3/maps.html

Joint Information Interoperability
Data-Sharing Deficiencies Among The Services Require Top-Level Attention
R. Adm. Robert M. Nutwell, USN-Ret., and Paul D. Szabados

The Defense Department has made encouraging progress in the area of Joint
Information Interoperability since the Joint Staff (J6) created the "C4I for the
Warrior" program nearly 10 years ago. For example, the Global Command and
Control System (GCCS) was deployed to all commanders-in-chief (CinCs) and Joint
Task Force headquarters, and the joint tactical data link (Link 16) is being
fielded. The Joint Interoperability Coordinating Officer concept was implemented
and a Link 16 training course and an interim standard for collaboration tools
were established. Recent operations in Afghanistan have demonstrated
satisfactory interoperability between target spotters on the ground and attack
aircraft, except in cases involving human error.

Despite this progress, there is abundant evidence that major deficiencies remain
in Joint Information Interoperability that could significantly impede
high-intensity joint operations by the military services. This assessment is
based on the results of All Service Combat Identification Evaluation Team tests,
CinC assessments, and lessons learned from exercises and real-world operations.

http://www.afji.com/AFJI/Mags/2002/June/jointinfo.html

Challenges To US National Security
The War on Terrorism: Protecting America's Land And Maritime Frontiers
General Barry R. McCaffrey, USA-Ret.

America's land and maritime frontiers lie largely unprotected from the
continuing massive threat of terrorism, dangerous drugs, and the illegal entry
of criminal aliens hidden among the millions of migrants who seek freedom and
economic opportunity. Our lack of maritime and land border security forces and
infrastructure limits us to depending on counter-terrorism point defense by
local law enforcement authorities to safeguard our 52,000 key US critical
installations. Our border vulnerabilities will also force us to depend on the
post-attack damage consequence-management capabilities of FEMA and the National
Guard. The probability of successful attacks by terrorists is likely to remain
extremely high during the coming years because of these weaknesses in our border
security agencies.

http://www.afji.com/AFJI/Mags/2002/July/viewpoint.html

Eyes And Ears In Space
Europeans Develop New Space Reconnaissance And Communications Satellites
Nicholas Fiorenza

New satellites will improve European reconnaissance and communications
capabilities as the European Rapid Reaction Force (ERRF) approaches full
strength. France is upgrading its strategic reconnaissance capabilities with a
new generation of Helios satellites, and Germany is acquiring such capabilities
for the first time. This opens the possibility for Franco-German cooperation in
satellite reconnaissance. Both Helios I and II already involve cooperation among
France and other European countries.

The Europeans also use civilian satellites for reconnaissance. Another civilian
satellite system with military implications is Galileo, which has finally
received the go-ahead and will be a European alternative to the US Ground
Positioning System (GPS).

http://www.afji.com/AFJI/Mags/2002/July/eyes.html