(Interesting report about a part of the critical infrastructure which is
not mentioned very often. WEN)

Key sentence for CIP planner:

...In addition, we are recommending that commercial satellites be
identified as a critical infrastructure sector (or as part of an already
identified critical infrastructure sector) in the national CIP strategy,
to help ensure that these assets are protected from unauthorized access
and disruption. ...

GAO: Critical Infrastructure Protection:  Commercial Satellite Security
Should Be More Fully Addressed.  GAO-02-781, August 30.
http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-02-781

Vulnerabilities:

.... Satellites are vulnerable to various threats. Protecting satellite
systems against these threats requires attention to (1) the satellite;
(2) the satellite control ground stations, which perform tracking and
control functions to ensure that satellites remain in the proper orbits
and which monitor satellite performance; (3) the communications ground
stations, which
process the data being sent to and from satellites; and (4)
communications
links between satellites and ground stations-both those that transmit
the
tracking and control information and those that transmit the data.
Security
threats to any part of the system could put government and commercial
functions at significant risk. Accordingly, at your request, we reviewed
(1) what security techniques are available to protect satellite systems
from
unauthorized use, disruption, or damage; (2) how federal agencies reduce
the risk associated with their use of commercial satellite systems; and
(3) what federal critical infrastructure protection (CIP) efforts are
being
undertaken to address satellite system security through improved
government and private-sector cooperation. To accomplish these
objectives, we reviewed technical documents, policy, and directives and
interviewed pertinent officials from federal agencies and the private
sector
involved in developing, operating, maintaining, and protecting satellite
systems. ...

Results:

.... Techniques to protect satellite systems from unauthorized use and
disruption include the use of robust hardware on satellites, physical
security and logical access controls2 at ground stations, and encryption
of
the signals for tracking and controlling the satellite and of the data
being
sent to and from satellites. ....

Recommendation:

Because of the importance of the satellite industry to our nation, we
recommend that steps be taken to promote appropriate revisions to
existing policy and the development of new policy regarding the security
of
satellite systems, to ensure that federal agencies appropriately address
the
use of commercial satellites, including the sensitivity of information,
security techniques, and enforcement mechanisms. In addition, we are
recommending that commercial satellites be identified as a critical
infrastructure sector (or as part of an already identified critical
infrastructure sector) in the national CIP strategy, to help ensure that
these assets are protected from unauthorized access and disruption.

IWS INFOCON Mailing List
@ IWS - The Information Warfare Site
http://www.iwar.org.uk