How Pirates Shaped The Internet As We Know It

from the talk-like-a-pirate-day dept

Today is "International Talk like a Pirate Day." While it's a lot of fun to act
like a pirate, drink rum and catch up on Errol Flynn movies, piracy is also a
serious issue with real economic and legal significance. As electronic devices
become an increasingly ubiquitous part of our lives, the content we consume has
moved from analog to digital. This has made copying – as well as pirating –
increasingly easy and prevalent.

Adding fuel to the flames of this rising "pirate generation" has been the
content industry's recalcitrant and often combative attitude toward digital
markets. Piracy, and the reactions to it, has had an immense impact on the
daily lives of ordinary Americans, shaping their digital experience by
determining how they can share, transfer and consume content.

< - >

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160919/17184435565/how-pirates-shaped-internet-as-we-know-it.shtml

--
It's better to burn out than fade away.