After More Than a Decade of Litigation, the Dancing Baby Has Done His Part to
Strengthen Fair Use for Everyone

By Corynne McSherry
June 27, 2018
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/06/after-more-decade-litigation-dancing-baby-ready-move

Litigation can always take twists and turns, but when EFF filed a lawsuit
against Universal Music Group in 2007 on behalf of Stephanie Lenz, few would
have anticipated it would be ten years until the case was finally resolved. But
today, at last, it is. Along the way, Lenz v. Universal contributed to
strengthening fair use law, bringing nationwide attention to the issues of
copyright and fair use in new digital movie-making and sharing technologies.

It all started when Lenz posted a YouTube video of her then-toddler-aged son
dancing while Prince’s song “Let's Go Crazy” played in the background, and
Universal used copyright claims to get the link disabled. We brought the case
hoping to get some clarity from the courts on a simple but important issue: can
a rightsholder use the Digital Millennium Copyright Act to take down an obvious
fair use, without consequence?

< - >

Lenz and Universal filed petitions requesting that the Supreme Court review the
Ninth Circuit’s ruling. The Supreme Court denied both petitions. This meant
that the case returned to the district court for trial on the question of
whether Universal’s takedown was a misrepresentation under the Ninth Circuit’s
subjective standard.  Rather than go to trial, the parties have agreed to a
settlement.

Lenz v. Universal helped make some great law on fair use and also played a role
in leading to better takedown processes at Universal. EFF congratulates
Stephanie Lenz for fighting the good fight, and we thank our co-counsel at
Keker, Van Nest & Peters LLP and Kwun Bhansali Lazarus LLP for being our
partners through this long journey. And in case you are wondering: that toddler
dancing in the original video is now in middle school.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/06/after-more-decade-litigation-dancing-baby-ready-move