FCC says alleged cyberattack didn't happen

By Aris Folley - 08/06/18 05:57 PM EDT 0

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/400635-fcc-says-cyberattack-didnt-happen-net-neutrality-repeal-complaints-shut

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Monday said that a cyberattack
on its comment system that it claimed had taken place last year never actually
happened.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai issued a statement regarding the Office of Inspector
General’s independent investigation into the alleged incident last year
involving the agency's Electronic Comment Filing System.

“For several months, my office has been aware of and cooperating with the
Office of Inspector General’s independent investigation into the incident
involving the FCC’s ECFS that took place on May 7-8, 2017,” Pai said in the
statement.

“The Inspector General’s office asked my office not to discuss this
investigation while it was ongoing so as not to jeopardize it, and my office
has accommodated that request.”

Pai said in the statement he was "deeply disappointed" that the FCC’s former
chief information officer (CIO), whom he pointed out was hired by the prior
administration and is no longer with the agency. Pai said the former CIO
provided "inaccurate information about this incident to me, my office,
Congress, and the American people."

"I’m also disappointed that some working under the former CIO apparently either
disagreed with the information that he was presenting or had questions about
it, yet didn’t feel comfortable communicating their concerns to me or my
office," Pai continued.

The report arrives months after the government's top watchdog, the Government
Accountability Office (GAO), agreed to investigate the now-debunked cyberattack
targeting the FCC.

The agency’s comment filing system was brought down in May 2017 after comedian
John Oliver slammed the agency for trying to scale back net neutrality rules
during a segment on his HBO show.

The incident later generated speculation that the agency’s system had been
overwhelmed with traffic because the comedian directed his viewers to file
comments supporting the Obama-era net neutrality regulations.

However, the agency later said that the system had been targeted with a
distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack, which overwhelms a website with
massive amounts of fake traffic.

"Indeed, as the report documents, on the morning of May 8, it was the former
CIO who informed my office that ‘some external folks attempted to send high
traffic in an attempt to tie-up the server from responding to others, which
unfortunately makes it appear unavailable to everyone attempting to get through
the queue,’" Pai went on to say in his statement.

"In response, the Commission’s Chief of Staff, who works in my office, asked if
the then-CIO was confident that the incident wasn’t caused by a number of
individuals ‘attempting to comment at the same time . . . but rather some
external folks deliberately trying to tie-up the server.’ In response to this
direct inquiry, the former CIO told my office: ‘Yes, we’re 99.9% confident this
was external folks deliberately trying to tie-up the server to prevent others
from commenting and/or create a spectacle,'" Pai said.

Updated: 6:05 p.m.