Documents Show IBM Pitched The NYPD Facial Recognition Software With Built-In
Racial Profiling Options

from the facial-profiling-amirite dept

Documents obtained by The Intercept show the NYPD and IBM engaged in a
long-running facial recognition tech partnership from 2008 to 2016. While some
of this deployment was discussed publicly, details about the extent of the
program -- as well as it's more problematic elements -- haven't been.

As the article's title informs the reader, camera footage could be scanned for
face matches using skin tone as a search constraint. Considering this was
pushed by IBM as a tool to prevent the next 9/11, it's easy to see why the NYPD
-- given its history of surveilling Muslim New Yorkers -- might be willing to
utilize a tool like this to pare down lists of suspects to just the people it
suspected all along (Muslims).

There are a number of surprises contained in the long, detailed article, but
the first thing that jumps out is IBM's efforts and statements, rather than the
NYPD's. We all know the government capitalizes on tragedies to expand its
power, but here we see a private corporation appealing to this base nature to
make a sale.

< - >

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180906/16591940593/documents-show-ibm-pitched-nypd-facial-recognition-software-with-built-in-racial-profiling-options.shtml