Chrome is a Google Service that happens to include a Browser Engine

September 22, 2018

Starting with Chrome 69, logging into a Google Site is tied to logging into
Chrome.

This is typically the topic where things are complex enough that tweets or 500
character Mastodon toots don’t do it justice. I’d also mention that I prefer to
avoid directly linking people’s posts on this, because I dislike the practice
of taking discussions out of their original audience and treating them as
official or semi-official communications from a given company.

So what changed with Chrome 69? From that version, any time someone using
Chrome logs into a Google service or site, they are also logged into
Chrome-as-a-browser with that user account. Any time someone logs out of a
Google service, they are also logged out of the browser. Before Chrome 69,
Chrome users could decline to be logged into Chrome entirely, skipping the use
of Sync and other features that are tied to the login and they could use Chrome
in a logged-out state while still making use of GMail for example.

Just to spell it out: this means Google logins for Chrome are now de-facto
mandatory if you ever login to a Google site.

< - >

https://ha.x0r.be/posts/chrome-is-a-google-service/