Trump downplays massive cyber hack on government after Pompeo links attack to
Russia

By Veronica Stracqualursi, Kevin Liptak and Jennifer Hansler, CNN

Updated 2:26 PM ET, Sat December 19, 2020

(CNN) President Donald Trump on Saturday downplayed a massive cyberattack on US
federal government agencies, contradicting Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's
public remarks linking the hack to Russia and leaving administration officials
scrambling to reconcile the competing statements, according to people familiar
with the matter.

"This was a very significant effort, and I think it's the case that now we can
say pretty clearly that it was the Russians that engaged in this activity,"
Pompeo had said of the cyber hack in an interview Friday on "The Mark Levin
Show," adding: "I can't say much more as we're still unpacking precisely what
it is, and I'm sure some of it will remain classified."

But Trump, in his first public comments on the issue, appeared to undercut
Pompeo's remarks in a pair of tweets Saturday, suggesting without evidence "it
may be China" that's responsible. Instead of condemning the attack, or Russia,
he wrote that he had been "fully briefed and everything is well under control"
-- despite officials in his administration having said this week that the
cyberattack "poses a grave risk" to networks across both the public and private
sector.

White House officials had drafted a statement assigning blame to Russia for the
attack and were preparing to release it Friday afternoon but were told to stand
down, according to people familiar with the plans. Officials initially weren't
told why the statement was pulled back.

The statement, the people said, placed blame on Russia for orchestrating the
attack but left open the possibility that other actors were involved.

The people familiar told CNN on Saturday it wasn't clear whether the statement
will be released, and instead described a scramble inside the administration as
officials work to reconcile the competing statements from Trump and Pompeo.
The President was briefed on the attack on Thursday.

Trump also baselessly claimed in the tweets that the attack could have impacted
US voting machines. A group of national, state and private election officials
said in a joint statement last month that there is no evidence of any voting
system being compromised in the 2020 election.

< - >

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/19/politics/pompeo-us-government-hack-russia/index.html