UltraSPARC T1 Fires Up Sun
November 14, 2005

Interview: Sun Microsystems CEO Scott McNealy talks about the role that the
UltraSPARC T1 plays in Sun's evolution into a systems vendor for customers
of all sizes.

UltraSPARC T1 marks another step in Sun Microsystems Inc.'s evolution into a
systems vendor for customers of all sizes. In an interview with eWEEK Senior
Editor Jeffrey Burt, Sun Chairman and CEO Scott McNealy talked about the
technology's role within Sun and its place in the industry.

eWEEK: How important is "Niagara" to Sun?

McNealy: Energy efficiency and chip multi-threading are a big deal for Sun
and major breakthroughs for the industry. We invested in this technology
several years back when others were doubling down on press releases and
dead-end operating systems like HP-UX [Hewlett-Packard Co's Unix operating
system]. Sun moved in a different and seemingly controversial direction.

The UltraSPARC T1 was built for today's entry into the "Participation
Age"‹where 3 million people a week are joining the network not just to get
access to information but to interact with each other‹blogging, shopping,
podcasting, sharing photos, distance learning. All of which puts huge
horizontal throughput demands on the infrastructure.

The UltraSPARC T1 processor is designed for this growing Web load. It moves
large volumes of data for the billion-plus subscribers who are pinging the
Web, and has great throughout. And when you combine the fastest growing OS
on the planet, Solaris 10, and Java with the UltraSPARC T1 processor, you
get a system that yields the highest throughput for the next generation of
the Web.

As more users join the network and energy prices soar, CIOs are concerned
about data center environmentals like energy, cooling and space. The
UltraSPARC T1 uses only about 70 watts, or 2 watts per thread‹half as many
watts as microprocessors used in today's servers. Innovations like this help
us power the Participation Age while alleviating customer headaches, and
without torching the planet.

eWEEK: How important is it to users?

McNealy: This is a radical new processor‹designed to handle today's
datacenter strains while reducing power and energy requirements. We're
starting with eight cores and 32 threads and we're only going to improve on
this design. The CoolThreads technology in the UltraSPARC T1 offers
capacity, performance and a way for customers to lower their energy costs in
the datacenter.

eWEEK: Can you talk about Sun's Throughput Computing push‹what it is, why
it's important to Sun and its customers, and how it differentiates Sun from
its competitors?

McNealy: Throughput Computing is putting a system on a chip. It's using chip
multi-threading technology to allow a single processor to execute several
software threads simultaneously. That results in significant increases in
application performance.

Our CTO, Greg Papadopoulos, anticipated the divergence in processor design
around the computer vs. servers/infrastructure several years back, and so we
made a decision to guide our [research and development] toward this path.
This enabled Marc Tremblay [vice president and chief architect at Sun] and
other Throughput Computing pioneers to advance the technology, and now Sun
is helping pave the way for the industry.

Others in the industry are now talking about following our approach, but
they've got a lot of work ahead of them. We're hitting the market now, we're
delivering orders of magnitude throughput increases over competitors, and we
have the Solaris OS and Java software that eats threads for lunch. Perfect
for the next-generation of Web services our customers are building out for
their markets.

eWEEK: How is the T1 different from its competitors?

McNealy: The T1 is a revolutionary design. It uses eight cores‹each having
four threads‹for a total of 32 threads that work simultaneously, so many
tasks are performed in parallel. This is at least twice the threads per core
of competitors such as Intel [Corp.], which have a maximum of only two
threads per processor, with most processors having only one thread. In terms
of power-performance, the T1 requires less than half the power as IBM's
Power5+ processors, while providing significantly more throughput. With this
technology, and software like Solaris and Java optimized for a multi-thread
approach, Sun is uniquely positioned to succeed.

eWEEK: How do you see Sun's platform roadmap playing out, given the
Opteron-based systems, the Niagara servers, the upcoming Rock technology and
the partnership you have with Fujitsu Ltd. for more traditional SPARC
systems?

McNealy: Sun is firing on all cylinders. We have technologies that address
customers' needs at all ends of the market. We've addressed the industry
standard market by designing Opteron-based Sun Fire servers that use
one-third the power of other systems while increasing performance by 50
percent and cutting costs in half. We launched UltraSPARC IV+ servers in
September, a general-purpose enterprise class system that offers a
five-times performance boost over the previous generation SPARC processor.
The UltraSPARC T1 microprocessor addresses the next generation of the Web,
where there are huge throughput demands on the infrastructure. We're
starting with eight cores‹each having 4 threads‹for a total of 32 systems on
a chip. And we're only going to improve on this design with Niagara 2, Rock
and beyond. Stay-tuned, there's more to come.

You are a subscribed member of the infowarrior list. Visit
www.infowarrior.org for list information or to unsubscribe. This message
may be redistributed freely in its entirety. Any and all copyrights
appearing in list messages are maintained by their respective owners.