Government Web sites follow visitors' movements

By Declan McCullagh
http://news.com.com/Government+Web+sites+follow+visitors+movements/2100-1028
_3-6018702.html

Story last modified Thu Jan 05 04:00:00 PST 2006

Dozens of federal agencies are tracking visits to U.S. government Web sites
in violation of long-standing rules designed to protect online privacy, a
CNET News.com investigation shows.

>From the Air Force to the Treasury Department, government agencies are using
either "Web bugs" or permanent cookies to monitor their visitors' behavior,
even though federal law restricts the practice.
Chart: Federal Web tracking

Some departments changed their practices this week after being contacted by
CNET News.com. The Pentagon said it wasn't aware that its popular
Defenselink.mil portal tracked visitors--in violation of a privacy
notice--and said it would fix the problem. So did the Defense Threat
Reduction Agency and the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation
Board.

"We were not aware of the cookies set to expire in 2016," a Pentagon
representative said Wednesday. "All of the cookies we had set with WebTrends
were to be strictly (temporary) cookies, and we are taking immediate
action." WebTrends is a commercial Web-monitoring service.

The practice of tracking Web visitors came under fire last week when the
National Security Agency was found to use permanent cookies to monitor
visitors, a practice it halted after inquiries from the Associated Press.
The White House also was criticized last week for employing WebTrends'
tracking mechanism that used a tiny GIF image.

A 2003 government directive says that, in general, "agencies are prohibited
from using" Web bugs or cookies to track Web visitors. Both techniques are
ways to identify repeat visitors and, depending on the configuration, can be
used to track browsing behavior across nongovernment Web sites too.

"It's evidence that privacy is not being taken seriously," said Peter Swire,
a law professor at Ohio State University, referring to the dozens of
agencies tracking visitors. "The guidance is very clear." While working in
the Clinton administration in 2000, Swire helped to craft an earlier Web
tracking policy.

To detect which agencies engage in electronic tracking, CNET News.com wrote
a computer program that connected to every agency listed in the official
U.S. Government Manual, and then evaluated what monitoring techniques were
used. The expiration dates of the cookies detected ranged from 2006 to 2038,
with most of them marked as valid for at least a decade or two.

Many agencies appeared to have no inkling that their Web sites were
configured to record the activities of users. "When the agency set up
ColdFusion on our Web server, we set the software to its default value,"
said William Alberque, a spokesman for the Defense Threat Reduction Agency.
"The default value, as you saw, creates individual session cookies that can
last on your computer for either 30 years or until you delete them."
(ColdFusion is Adobe Systems' Web development software.)

Not all monitoring of Web visitors is prohibited. The 2003 directive
provides an exception for federal agencies that have a "compelling need,"
clearly disclose the tracking and have approval from the agency head. In
addition, the directive does not apply to state government Web sites, court
Web sites or sites created by members of Congress.

The perils of third-party cookies
Probably the most intrusive type of tracking comes from third-party cookies
set by commercial vendors. Such cookies permit correlation of visits to
thousands of Web sites. A visitor to the Pentagon's Web site could be
identified as the same person who stopped by Hilton.com and
HRBlock.com--because both of those companies are WebTrends customers.

For its part, WebTrends says it does not correlate that information. "There
are companies that tried to do that in the past and got a lot of bad public
exposure," said Brent Hieggelke, WebTrends' vice president of corporate
marketing.

"We do not track cross-site traffic," Hieggelke said. "We do not offer any
services that let you understand cross-domain traffic at unrelated sites at
all."

Privacy advocates tend to be leery of such third-party cookies, however,
warning that a change in company management or ownership could result in a
policy shift, or that a security breach would expose Web browsing habits.

"If WebTrends has the ability to link the White House visit to the
commercial site visit, then that does look like persistent tracking," said
Swire, the Ohio law professor. "It would be useful to have a third-party
audit of that."

Statcounter.com is another Web-statistics program, used by the Commerce
Department and the Energy Department, which also sets third-party cookies.

The Dublin, Ireland-based company says it does not correlate information
from multiple Internet sites. "We do not sell any information to third
parties," said its U.S. representative. "All we're interested in gathering
is information that can tell (a Webmaster) what area the visitor comes from,
what they looked at, what they went back to, data that shows how their sites
are used."

During the Clinton administration, the White House's Office of Management
and Budget published initial guidelines (click here for PDF) for federal Web
sites in June 1999. That 10-page document gave federal agencies three months
to post "clearly labeled and easily accessed" privacy policies on their
sites and suggested model language.

Then came a public flap over the tracking technologies employed by the White
House's antidrug site Freevibe.com. Shortly afterward, the White House
published a directive restricting agencies from using any sort of "cookies"
or other "automatic means of collecting information" at their sites except
in narrow circumstances. The latest, 2003, directive continued the
restriction on permanent (sometimes called persistent) cookies but permitted
temporary ones that last only as long as the browser window is open.

Failure to follow the rules has plagued government agencies before. In 2001,
the Defense Department's Inspector General reviewed the agency's 400 sites
and found "persistent" cookies on 128 of them. The Central Intelligence
Agency admitted in 2002 that it had also been using the proscribed cookies
without proper clearance, and it stripped them from its sites.

The level of compliance with the rules appears to have changed little since
a 2000 General Accounting Office survey (click here for PDF), which revealed
that at least a dozen agencies were still using cookies in apparent
violation of the rules.

Persistent by default

Many of the cookies appearing on the errant Web sites were generated by
ColdFusion, the popular Web authoring tool. When the software creates
creates certain types of cookies, it automatically assigns them a default
"persistent" setting, which sets them to expire about 30 years in the
future, said senior project manager Tim Buntel.

ColdFusion's software architects encourage Web developers to use an
application that allows them to manage and make changes to the cookie
settings as they see fit, Buntel said, adding that "any ColdFusion
application can be built completely without any cookie use."

Representatives at several agencies said they were astonished to see cookies
on their Web sites, and they blamed their Web designer's lack of
understanding of ColdFusion's default settings.

The Defense Threat Reduction Agency immediately altered the settings on
discovering that its ColdFusion developers had neglected to tweak the
defaults. "We never have kept a database of any such information," said
spokesman William Alberque.

"Frankly, I don't think anybody here even realized they existed, but now
they do, and we'll follow up on it," said Daniel Horowitz, a spokesman for
the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board.

One Smithsonian Institution Web staffer, who initially denied the existence
of persistent cookies detected by CNET News.com on the National Air and
Space Museum's site, said that ColdFusion settings were probably to blame.
"Regardless, I can assure you that we are not currently using or
distributing cookie information," the representative said in a statement
sent to CNET News.com.

A few others, including the Federal Reserve Board and the U.S. Institute of
Peace, said they're independent agencies that are not bound by the 2003
directive from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). "We are not a
government agency," said Calvin Mitchell, senior vice president at the
Federal Reserve Bank of New York. "We try to fulfill the spirit of certain
government regulations as we can, but we're not obliged to follow those."

A White House official suggested a different interpretation. "When it comes
to federal government Web sites, the policy is clear, and so anything that
ends in a .mil or a .gov would fall underneath the federal policy as
outlined in the OMB guidance," said David Almacy, the White House's Internet
director.

Only one federal agency contacted this week appeared to comply fully with
the directive. The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial research
says it received the necessary permission in January 2005 to enable cookies
on its Web site for a survey. The cookies, which expire in one month, are
used to avoid asking the same people to complete the survey.

The White House says that because it only uses a 1 pixel-by-1 pixel image
that loads from WebTrends' site, it complies with the 2003 directive from
the Office of Management and Budget. "There are no cookies being placed
either on the Web site, from the White House or from WebTrends," Almacy
said. "No personal information was gleaned, no cookies were being used, but
OMB guidance is pretty clear. The White House Web site is and always has
been in compliance with OMB guidance."

You are a subscribed member of the infowarrior list. Visit
www.infowarrior.org for list information or to unsubscribe. This message
may be redistributed freely in its entirety. Any and all copyrights
appearing in list messages are maintained by their respective owners.