On 05/21/2014 06:32 PM, David Caro wrote:
On Wed 21 May 2014 04:28:10 PM CEST, Itamar Heim wrote:
On 05/21/2014 05:25 PM, Eyal Edri wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Itamar Heim" <ih...@redhat.com>
To: "Sandro Bonazzola" <sbona...@redhat.com>, "David Caro"
<dcaro...@redhat.com>
Cc: "infra" <infra@ovirt.org>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2014 9:48:19 PM
Subject: Re: About merging patches without tests

On 05/16/2014 05:38 AM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
Il 16/05/2014 10:37, David Caro ha scritto:
On Fri 16 May 2014 09:33:44 AM CEST, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
Il 15/05/2014 18:46, David Caro ha scritto:
Hi!

   From time to time we have some patches that are merged to master
   branches
without having been tested mostly because the developer merges before
having any
response from the jenkins system.

Merging one of those patches makes any following test run on that branch
fail, and creating a lot of noise and trouble around all patches and
jobs.

So I wanted to stat a little discussion to bring up ideas on how to
prevent
that. Some random thoughts:

* -1 the patch at jenkins job start, and reset to 0 on success or infra
failure,
and keep -1 if jenkins failure
* Only send a message to the patch with 'jenkins jobs started'

I think that something like "jenkins jobs started, please don't merge
until they finish" should be enough.

* Setup zuul as gateway, and make it block the patches if they do not
pass the tests

Cheers!

Usually the flow is reabase -> submit, that is done pretty easily from
the ui, and it does not give too much time to check any comments (the
rebase and submit buttons are on the top, and the comments show at the
end).
So doing that will not help on that case, as the developer would not
see the comment before submitting. I think we should block, at least
for a couple minutes, so he has to read the comments to be able to
submit.

We had that before also, adding a comment when the jobs start, but we
removed it by developers request iirc

Also recently you can just press submit and it automatically rebase before
merging.
So maybe yes, just a message isn't enough

its not possible to wait for the job on a simple rebase usually - too
many collisions possible.

we're mostly talking about jobs that fail to compile, i think in those cases,
it worth to wait for jenkins job to finish.

if the previous patch failed to compile - i agree.
if a rebase of a patch that passed previously, waiting for another round of
jobs isn't practical if other merge in the meantime. I'd say:
- wait for it if last patch is several days old.
- make sure to check the email from automation post the merge and revert/fix
if it broke in a short loop.

Maybe we can retake the initiative of testing 'on demand', meaning,
that the high load jobs only run after a maintainer +1 and a verified
+1, that added to the extra flag might help ease the load and keep
master stable:

lets wait a bit till we have the extra hardware up and running?

Devel sends patches/rebase/whatever, verifies +1, then a maintainer
reviews +1 -> jenkins job starts and adds the 'tested' flag when
finished -> maintainer can submit

But e will need some control over the maintainers of each project (we
have more or less that already as gerrit groups and permissions).

--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.

Email: dc...@redhat.com