On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 01:48:33PM +0100, Adrian Reber wrote:
> This is mainly a question for Matt.
>
> Currently it seems there is a problem with newly added private mirrors
> that they never seem to appear in the mirrorlist. I am tracking this for
> the last few weeks, but I have not found the cause for this yet. As this
> problem does not yet seem very widely spread I did not spent too much
> time on it. Recently dl.phx2.fedoraproject.org has been added as a
> private mirror and it does not appear in the mirrorlist.
>
> I have now seen that a few URLs have the private flag set in
> host_category_url and I am wondering what it exactly means. I see that
> these URLs are not added to the mirrorlist servers as opposed to mirror
> sites/hosts which have the private flag set. I also do not see in MM2
> where this flag can actually be changed and that's why I am wondering if
> we somehow set this flag by accident in certain situations and that
> maybe it had some different meaning in MM1.
>
> That's why I am hoping that maybe Matt remembers the idea behind this
> flag which enables marking URls as private. In MM2 it seems to be
> unused, besides that once it is enabled it cannot be disabled and
> URLs using it are therefore for ever blocked from the mirrorlist server.

Looking at the source code of MirrorManager (1) made it clearer (I
think). According to the descriptions on the MirrorManager1 pages those
URLs are not used for public or private mirrors but are used as URLs
between mirrors for better/easier syncing. It seems the description did
not survive the port to MM2 so that people started selecting private at
the URL level as it was not clear what it means.

Currently it can only be removed by either deleting the URLs completely
or by doing the change directly in the database. I modified the
dl.phx2.fedoraproject.org URLs to see if this actually helps.

                Adrian