On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 02:40:52PM -0500, Patrick Uiterwijk wrote:
> > 3. The tool will go through all metalinks for f23-updates (all primary
> > architectures), and drop each <mm0:alternate> section which has
> > <mm0:timestamp> older than the provided date (let's say midnight UTC).
>
> Please note that there are no metalink files: these files are generated on
> the fly from a cache
> by the mirrorlist servers.
> I have a patch for this that I'll submit upstream to add the feature itself,
> and will discuss
> with releng how they want to fire this off.

The new script is now available on mm-backend01: mm2_emergency-expire-repo

I think I have seen that Patrick also created a playbook to let the
script run in the correct environment and configuration.

We have successfully tested the script in the staging environment and
after it runs only the newest repomd.xml file is listed in the metalink.

As far as I understand MirrorManager this script only changes the number
of alternate repomd.xml files in the metalink. The number of mirrors
returned does not change. Depending on the last run of the master mirror
crawler (umdl), the state of the crawler checking the mirrors and the
mirrors which are running report_mirror this may lead to situation where
mirrors are offered to clients which might not yet have the newest
files.

                Adrian