On 07/24/2018 08:15 AM, Dusty Mabe wrote:

> On 07/24/2018 10:57 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:

>>> Mostly the fact that with the acquisition of CoreOS Inc we have more
>>> people that know and maintain ore than fedimg (where sayan was really
>>> the only person who knows fedimg). ore also has the ability to upload
>>> to many more clouds than just AWS, which I don't think is something we
>>> ever had in fedimg.
>>>

>> Well, Fedora itself doesn't really support cloud providers other than
>> AWS. For example, we don't have the required tooling for GCE packaged
>> in Fedora, so even if we wanted to make GCE images, they won't work. I
>> found this out while actually trying to get Fedora working on GCE for
>> Snappy's CI. I did make rudimentary packages for their tools to make
>> things work, but it's not in good enough shape to be in Fedora proper.
>>
>> If we want to support more cloud providers, that's a different story,
>> and I doubt it'd be that difficult to add to fedimg.  If we were
>> interested in making official GCE images, I'd be happy to help with
>> fedimg and other things to get that going.
>
> That's awesome! I know jdoss was interested in helping make sure we
> get more regular releases of the cloud base image as well. See
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/cl...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/7BFM6OBOVUNVM76LOQQYPXFLTRXHYPA2/
>

>> The lack of people working on things is a function of the lack of
>> priority on the cloud for Fedora. IMO, we've been chasing all this
>> Atomic stuff that most of the Cloud stuff has rotted. Do we care now?
>
> As stated in the original FAQ, Fedora CoreOS will target many cloud
> providers. I'm hoping this means, by association, issues we had with
> getting the Fedora Cloud base image into various clouds will no longer
> be a problem.
>
> https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/launch-faq-which-platforms-does-fedora-coreos-support/53

+1. I want to try to get Fedora into more providers, and this should
help accomplish doing so.

>>> I agree Go can be a pain. Despite that I think this is a good starting
>>> point for now because we get the added functionality ore currently has
>>> without doing a bunch of new development. For now I think we have other
>>> "bigger fish" to go after.
>>>

>> If we have bigger fish to go after, why are we bothering with this
>> conversation at all?
>
> That's my opinion :) - IOW I'm +1 for ore because it has all the functionality
> we already need and allows us to concentrate on other issues we have to knock
> out for an initial release of FCOS. Are we causing ourselves issues by taking
> on technical debt ? Maybe. I personally prefer dynamic/shared lib/interpreted
> languages as well because of dep issues with Go, but i'm trying to be
> practical.

We already have tech debt with fedimg. While it serves its current
purpose, there are some issues with the current iteration.

It's primarily single-commiter. With Ore, we can share development load
across 2 teams with more eyes, and more importantly fingers-on-keyboards.

It's using legacy amazon api calls in some places that cause issues.
Additionally there are some places where it shells out and exec's
binaries on the system rather than using python libs or methods.

It already requires retooling to support python3, in addition to the
above issues. I'd rather share that load with other teams and developers
rather than have one dev constantly recreate this particular wheel.