On Fri, 6 Dec 2019 at 11:41, Martin Kolman <mkol...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 08:38 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> > When installing Fedora 31 on a system, I noticed that anaconda defaulted
> > to US/Pacific for the time zone, rather than the correct US/Central.
> > I'm on a Google Fiber connection, and when I check Fedora's service at
> > https://geoip.fedoraproject.org/city I get the info for their HQ in
> > Mountain View.  I'm pretty sure I got my proper location in the past.
> >
> > What geoIP service is Fedora using for this?
> AFAIK the service is run as part of the Fedora infrastrucuture, due to
> its potentially sensitive nature (every manual installation that has
> network access will try to reach this API). It is not a third party provided
> API.

Basically the tool is using an old GeoIP2 database from when that
database was still maintained (so last May?). To use the libmaxminddb
which has the newer data, a porting effort would be needed to rewrite
the geoip.fedoraproject.org to that. Because of all the other 'it must
be done now' work it has been deprioritized. Since we do not have the
resources to fix this, we are actually talking about dropping it
altogether.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.