Hi,

We are working with a openstack release using OVS-DPDK as the non DPDK option
does not provide the required performance for Data plane VNFs (close to
10Gbps). Due to the above OVS version, the neutron dhcpd service is not running
and it is not possible to have IP connectivity to nova VMs by using the qdhcpd
namespaces (i.e. sudo ip netns exec qdhcp-${net_id} ping -c 3 ${vm_ip}    20s).

Based on the above limitation, we are using a serial text based console (no the
VNC console that you can get by executing "nova get-vnc-console <nova-vm-id>
novnc"), however we need to configure our nova VMs for having kernel
redirection to a second serial port, as the first serial console is being used
by nova console-log service. See the following serial section of a dumpxml nova
VM (using default configuration):

    <serial type='file'>
      <source
path='/var/lib/nova/instances/f4272d28-ae59-4272-8fe3-337f451558fa/console.log'/>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='1'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='file'>
      <source
path='/var/lib/nova/instances/f4272d28-ae59-4272-8fe3-337f451558fa/console.log'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>

These are the instructions to enable the kernel redirection to a second serial
port:

Ubuntu

1.       sudo -i

2.       cp /etc/init/ttyS0.conf  /etc/init/ttyS1.conf

3.       vi /etc/init/ttyS1.conf

a.       Change the line "exec /sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt102"

b.       By "exec /sbin/getty -L ttyS1 115200 vt102"

4.       Reboot VM to ensure the changes

5.       desde el compute: virsh reboot <kvm-id>

6.       cuando la VM levante: virsh console <kvm-id> serial1

SLES

-          In /etc/inittab add a second serial port by adding the following line

o   ttyS1::respawn:/sbin/getty -L 115200 ttyS1 vt100 # GENERIC_SERIAL

-          Reload inititab

o   "kill -HUP 1"

After that, we can get a serial text based VM console by executing "virsh
console <vm-id> serial1 --force" and using an expect script we are parsing the
output of several commands at VM level.

Note: We cannot use the serial0 (default option when not specifying the serial
option) as the nova console-log service is using it.

Example of virsh console connection using default serial0 port:

root@node-26:~# virsh console 53
Connected to domain instance-0000027a
Escape character is ^]
error: internal error: character device <null> is not using a PTY

Example of virsh console connection using serial1 port:

root@node-26:~# virsh console 53 serial1
Connected to domain instance-0000027a
Escape character is ^]

Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS mtc ttyS1

mtc login:

We have checked that in the library OpenStackOperations.robot you are using the
nova console-log service to be sure that the VM has got the right IP address,
so serial0 is already used in your setup and tests.

Verify VMs Received DHCP Lease
    [Arguments]    @{vm_list}
    [Documentation]    Using nova console-log on the provided ${vm_name} to
search for the string "obtained" which
    ...    correlates to the instance receiving it's IP address via DHCP. This
should provide a good indication
    ...    that the instance is fully up and ready.

What is your VM connectivity model suggested for an environment using OVS-DPDK?
Base on the previous lines, for us we should go for the "virsho console
serial1" option.
I have seen other approaches using "nova get-serial-console" but it appears
that is not compatible with nova console-log service:

-
http://blog.oddbit.com/2014/12/22/accessing-the-serial-console-of-your-nova-servers/

-          http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/testing/serial-console.html

Thanks,
Jose

[Ericsson]<http://www.ericsson.com/>

JOSE CORBACHO GIL
Services SDN  - Test Envrionment Responsible
BICP DUAC SDN PDG M2 SDN ODL Design & CI
BU IT & Cloud Products

Ericsson
Via de los Poblados, 13
28033 - Madrid, Spain
Phone +34 91 339 40 75
Mobile +34 650 86 85 61
jose.corbacho....@ericsson.com
www.ericsson.com

[http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign]<http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign>

Legal entity: ERICSSON ESPAÑA S.A., registered office in Spain. This
Communication is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of
the terms set out at
www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer<http://www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer>