On 05/20/2009 09:11 AM, Seewer Philippe wrote:

Warren Togami wrote:
Harald,

I tried your root=dhcp netboot code.

Is it intended that you need both root=dhcp and ip=dhcp? Surely the
first implies the second?

I guess a simple patch could set ip=dhcp if root=dhcp is supplied...

So it does successfully mount and NFS root boot, but as I feared it
has trouble due to the presence of a wireless device. One thin client
I have is Intel Atom with e1000e NIC and iwlagn wireless. It appears
to dhcp once successfully on the eth0 ethernet, but its event-driven
nature also tries to launch dhclient again on the wlan0. dhclient
complains that dhclient is already running and fails.

That's weird it shouldn't do that, since dhclient is started with an
interface option.

dhclient wouldn't have succeeded at all on the iwlagn interface
because the firmware is lacking from the initrd, and it isn't
associated. Also I don't see when it is ever desired to netboot over a
wireless interface.

As for excluding wireless interfaces, we should do a few things:
- Do not copy wireless drivers into the initrd. You suggested using
/etc/modprobe.d/something.conf to blacklist the driver from loading.
We would need a way to blacklist the driver during the initrd without
blacklisting it on the host system where the initrd is generated. How?
- Perhaps we should exclude any interfaces named "wlan*" from ifup and
dhclient. This works for most devices, but some wireless drivers call
the wireless interfaces "eth*".
- I have no idea if it is attempting to ifup and dhclient other
devices that appear like wmaster0.

I agree there. Wireless drivers shouldn't be included (yet). As for
separating ethernet from wireless drivers, why not use 'nm' and
disregard those drivers that contain 'ieee802011_register_hw'?

A separate but related matter is what to do if a machine has more than
one ethernet interface. It seems the only sane thing you CAN do is
ifup and dhclient only on the first interface?

That depends on your definition of sane. See the nfs/networking patches
I sent in march. They're be able to handle all kinds of weird combinations.

Regards,
Philippe

Philippe, could you try to rebase your patches on the latest git?
If not, I will do so next week.

Warren, nfs now works for me for:
ip=dhcp
root=dhcp, root=192.168.1.1:/mnt/root, root=nfs://192.168.1.1/mnt/root