On 06.04.2010 16:29, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 15:58 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:

> Our first priority should be allowing users to switch between using
> upstart and sysvinit, this requires that sysvinit no longer be
> Essential.

Regarding removing the essential tag I posted ideas how to do that safely some
time ago. I think I also already had patches for that. Will try to find them.

> The sysvinit maintainer has laid down what he'd like to see before
> removing that field, so that's all we should concentrate on
>
>> Open questions:
>> 1/ Would we still need compat symlinks for rsyslog/dbus in /etc/rc?.d/
>> for insserv to work?
>>
> Yes.

Ok.
I notice, that Ubuntu currently doesn't do it that way.
If a native upstart job is installed, only a symlink /etc/init.d/<service> ->
/lib/init/upstart-job is installed.
Do you intend to change that, too?

If there are symlinks in /etc/rc?.d/,
/etc/init/rc.conf (well, /etc/init.d/rc 2) will try to start those services a
second time when using upstart unless we fix /etc/init.d/rc to skip such
services when upstart is in use.

>> 2/ How do we ensure the correct ordering? Take the dbus/rsyslog example
>> again. When can we start the legacy sysv rc2 stage and be sure that the
>> upstart jobs are up?
>>
> The headers in the Upstart job provide the "alternate ordering" based on
> runlevels.

My question was, how do we ensure that native upstart jobs that are dependencies
of legacy sysv init script are started before the sysv init scripts.

>> a) Add the LSB header to the upstart *.conf file (they are comments
>> after all) and let "lsb-header" simply output that. If no LSB header is
>> defined, output a standard LSB header like:
>> Provides: <upstart job name>
>> Requires: $syslog, $remote_fs
>> Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
>> Default-Stop: 0 6
>>
> Yes.

Ok

>>>  - a system with sysvinit installed would use insserv to run both init
>>>    scripts and Upstart jobs (via upstart-job)
>>
>> How do we implement the "status" and "stop" action for services, i.e.
>> how do we get the pid?
>>
> Write a pid file.

How exactly would you do that?

>> The other remaining requirements I can remember, which Petter had and we
>> discussed during the sprint in London [1], was the inittab handling.
>>
> Ah yes, of course.

Which of the two proposals do you prefer?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?