On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 10:14:34AM +0000, J.B.C. Engelen (Johan) wrote:
> Op 30-07-2014 om 09:49, schreef Tavmjong Bah <tavmj...@free.fr>:
>
>     On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 00:41 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
>         On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:11:13PM +0200, Johan Engelen wrote:
>
>             Hi all,
>             Is this something we want to sign up to?
>             https://continuousassurance.org/
>
>             After a quick browse around their website, they seem to offer a
>             platform
>             that runs static analysis tools. We can run them ourselves (and
>             have
>             done so not so long ago), but it is nice to have a website do it
>             for all
>             of us. (unfortunately, not many of us compile with clang; I gave
> up
>             the
>             fight on Windows a while back, and will have to try again later)
>

>         Perhaps you could drop them a line and see if they have special offers
>         for open source / non-profit projects like us? Coverity has done this
>         for various projects.
>
>         In any case, before forming an opinion on this I'd want to know the
>         ballpark cost, and what the results/output looks like.
>

>     I just looked, it's free.
>

> Yes, sorry forgot to mention. This is why I suggested it.

Ah, excellent.  Well, if no money expenditures are needed, then it
sounds like a regular development activity, so no board decision needs
to be made.  Personally I think static analysis tools are great and
should be used.  You might float your proposal on inkscape-devel@ to get
wider buy in though.

Sounds good.  Let's continue discussion about it on inkscape-devel@.

> Meanwhile, if you have access to clang: have a look. GCC has improved a lot
> too
> (perhaps because of clang). clang's scanbuild is amazing. clang's
> address-sanatizer is *amazing* (from what I've seen in talks), but I have not
> tested it myself.

Perhaps an item for the roadmap would be to set up a consistent set of
static (and non-static) testing tools (perhaps invokable from make),
which could be run from a centralized location.  (Again
though... another topic for inkscape-devel@ discussion.)

Thanks,
Bryce