On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 03:35:50PM -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> Aweseome, lots of good stuff here.
> On Feb 9 2019, at 1:48 am, Bryce Harrington <br...@bryceharrington.org> wrote:
> > 1. First, today we've gained one new Bronze Stylus sponsor, icons8.com.
> > Yay!
> >

> 😂
> > 2. A second sponsor is in the works, we're just waiting on Conservancy for
> > processing, and should be annnounceable soon.
> >

> 😂😂
> > 3. I have sent out renewal reminders to our current sponsors that have hit
> > their expiration date. I figure we should give them a week to reply
> > before retiring their entries from the sponsor page.
> >

> Thank you for sending out those notices. We might consider waiting a little
> longer than that, or at least take a rely as reason to give them longer. I
> know for many businesses the process of processing a payment and getting
> approved can take more than a week.

I only expect an initial indication of interest in renewing within the
week, you're right sometimes payment can take a while.

Also, even if the week passes, it doesn't mean that they can't renew
later on, just that their logo won't be shown on the website in the
interim.

> > 4. Should we think about increasing our Bronze sponsorship level?
> > Today SFC told me that they don't like to bother invoicing amounts below
> > $1000, which makes things a bit difficult if our Bronze sponsors want
> > invoices. So moving Bronze to $1000 may make sense just for accounting
> > purposes.
> >

> I think that makes sense. That would set our levels to:
> $1000
> $2000
> $5000
> $10K
>
> I really want to set them to $1250 and $2500 just so they're all even
> doubles, but that's probably why I'm an engineer and not in marketing 😉

Yeah no kidding.  :-)

But these particular values line up well with other organization
sponsorship levels, so at least will not be of surprise.

> > 5. Is it time to add a Diamond level?
> > When we set up the sponsorship levels, we originally included a Diamond
> > level, but were not sure what amount it should be and decided we'd leave
> > it out and revisit when it seemed plausible that we might get one.
> > Given that we have two platinum sponsors currently, it seems plausible
> > now. What do others think?
> >

> Frankly, I agree with your logic, but I'm still hesitant. Let's say that we
> created a Diamond at $25K and someone gave it to us. What would we do with
> it? I feel like with our current plans and spending we'd have a hard time
> using that money. So, let's brainstorm some big ideas and figure out
> reasonable ways we could grow and then put the funds behind that, instead of
> ending up with money and nothing to spend it on.
> (I feel like that was rambling a bit, but I can't figure out a way to be more
> concise. Hopefully I got my point across.)

We had $23,313 in expenses for FY2018, so we've kept the spending side
up pretty well.  That said, there's only so much hackfesting we can
practically do in a given year, and you're right we should do some
brainstorming.

Funded development work (e.g. contract programming work) would be a
logical thing to think about, and several of our sponsors have expressed
interest here in supplying additional funds depending on what we
undertake.  There's a non-trivial amount of overhead work needed for
doing contract management, though.

It might be worthwhile for us to take a look at some of our peer
projects at SFC and see how others are using their funding.

Bryce