(this is not a direct reply to the last email by Brynn, just generally
to this new licence thread)

@Brynn / CR: I think the term copyright does not mean the same as 'All
rights reserved'. Copyright is just an umbrella term for all of them.
Just look at the Inkscape files:
(line 10)
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~inkscape.dev/inkscape/0.92.x/view/head:/src/inkscape.cpp#L10

@Brynn/CR/Martin: Yes, the Intro book at flossmanuals is licenced GPLv3.
But: I have asked if the licence could be changed/amended, to include
CC-By-SA (you may have missed that in the stream). Only the author
hasn't answered yet. Jazzynico said he would contact her. So we are
waiting for her answer, before we can decide to pursue / not pursue that
road.

@everyone: FTR, I prefer CC-By-SA for a manual, too. If the Intro book
cannot be licenced as CC-By-SA for some reason, then translating it
would get a lower priority for me, and finding other resources for a
start would rise in priority, but it's still worth being translated,
because it is a good book, with a very nice tone and approach.

If someone asked me to write an Inkscape manual and to release it into
PD (which is impossible, being German... we cannot cast off the moral
rights, even if we want to, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights#In_Europe), CC0 is possible,
though) I wouldn't do it. I do use that license for small artwork, and I
would use it for stuff where it cannot be enforced anyway, or which is
of humanitary nature.
But here, no lives depend on it, and I want to make sure that people's
work is credited, and that all derivatives of the manual may be shared
freely. Not just /most/, but *all*.

@Brynn: (question from last email) Probably if the teaching material
doesn't use the same licence. But it's still possible to use different
licences for different parts, as long as you make a note of that, and
don't mix them completely, as far as I know. So, I don't see an issue,
rather a chance that more teaching materials might choose a good licence
;-) (I'd like to see more teachers and students use Inkscape, btw.)

Maren