Am 05.05.2017 um 16:04 schrieb brynn:
> Hi Maren and all,
>        I appreciate your research into, and review of.....well I don't
> even understand what this is.
>
>        Could someone give me a simple explanation?  I'm still thinking
> "translate French FLOSS manual" and then update and expand the
> translation as a FLOSS doc.  I don't think we should abandon that, after
> all the work that Sylvain and Hineringi have put in.  Not to forget the
> French team too.

- Yes, that would be one of the options (the last one in the list I posted).
But there are more ways to write documentation, especially if you're
dealing with maintaining different versions of the software (and thus
the manual) in parallel, and different languages.

I'm not suggesting abandoning that book. On the contrary, yesterday I've
translated one more short chapter (and found the editor to be less
comfortable than the one we have on our django website, esp. for
inserting files/pictures), and I've just sent out a private email to
Hinerangi, because I think she might not be listening here currently,
but we'd need her consent for a licence change from GPL (which is
generally deemed unsuitable for documentation) to a CC licence.

But it would be entirely possible to manage the book's contents on a
different website, using a different system.

>        Are we moving away from FLOSS because of its license?  This is a
> fine point which I don't get.  Could someone make this simple for me, too?

- No, the licence discussion is not related to the discussion about
finding a suitable editing platform.

The website where the book lives currently, flossmanualsfr.com, is a
fine website for writing books. However, it lacks some features that
would be very useful for us, e.g. customization, versioning with undo,
support for different software versions and languages.

Likewise, the other suggested platforms lack features (especially in
contributor-usability), and there exist other platforms that people may
know about.

I was hoping to get some input on what is more important to people. To
me as someone who would probably be working on the more organizational
side, the frontend doesn't matter so much. I'm used to doing my editing
in a text editor, and to use a preview. I'm also used to
installing/running software on my computer, for testing my edits locally
(which wouldn't be mandatory, though - a website that allows to edit the
texts is available for each of the items on the list). What matters to
me is that it is easy to have multiple versions and translations
available, and to be able to automate the process. Also, to allow people
who aren't involved in the project yet to do quick edits and request
their inclusion into the manual. And to have a highly customizable
output - concerning output formats (ebook formats, html, pdf, maybe even
an 'app'), and styling of those (which I think CR might enjoy).

But I know that many of the possible editors might be afraid of the
gitlab workflow, and I wanted people to be able to take a look at the
different options.

I've got one more platform to add to the list (as 'looked at, I'd
discourage usage'):

***************

Gitbook

WHAT: node.js-based modern toolchain to build docs from
markdown/Asciidoc (locally installable version available) - disclaimer:
didn't test, only read.

PROS:
    - comes with an editor that is graphical, and integrates support for
the version control part, so users do not need to worry about learning
git or finding their way around the git**b user interfaces.
    - includes support for multiple language versions
    - customizable templates / themes
    - free hosting available

CONS:
    - the above mentioned editor is proprietary. There exists a
no-longer-in-development open source legacy version.
    - free hosting limited to 5 contributors
    - all in all (if you take away the limited hosting and the non-free
editor) similar to the readthedocs version, but building on a system I
wouldn't be able to deal with, userbase / maturity is probably a lot
smaller/less than the one of readthedocs/sphinx.

Homepage: https://www.gitbook.com/
Source repo example: https://github.com/GitbookIO/gitbook/tree/master/docs
Example web page:
https://www.gitbook.com/book/frontendmasters/front-end-handbook/details