How does Inline::C look for libraries on linux?

For some background:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=1076725

Anyway, it obviously does not use paths configured into either the
compile time linker or the runtime loader.  This is sort of confusing,
since it means a C program can be compiled with `-lwhatever`, while
a perl Inline::C build with the exact same switch may fail because it
has preempted the linker.

I noticed running BUILD_NOISY with strace -f that the build process
does its own library check, and if it thinks something is missing, it
leaves the content of LIBS out!  So I am forced to use, e.g.,
'-L /usr/local/lib -lwhatever' even though '-lwhatever' should have
sufficed.

What I'm most looking for is some environment variable that could be
set, or some other external global configuration option, anything so
that LIBS does not have to be potentially tweaked from system to system
in each module.  There should be a simple way to ensure that the library
search paths used are the same as the normal ones used by the system.

Thanks for putting peanut butter in my chocolate, by the way ;)
MK