Wed Jul 02 05:52:27 2014: Request 85336 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by sisyph...@optusnet.com.au
       Queue: Inline
     Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #85336] Fails often when tested in parallel
   Broken in: 0.53
    Severity: (no value)
       Owner: Nobody
  Requestors: a...@cpan.org, ken...@cpan.org
 Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=85336 >

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed J via RT" <bug-inl...@rt.cpan.org>

> FYI, the code to show the correct operation of BUILD_NOISY can be
> one-linered like so:
>
> perl -MInline=C,Config,BUILD_NOISY,1,FORCE_BUILD,1 -e "use Inline C =>
> q[void inline_warner() { int *x = 2; }]"

Yes, for a test  I'm thinking just have the test script run something like
that as a system command with output redirected to a file - and then check
that file (to an extent that allows us to be confident that BUILD_NOISY is
behaving as expected).

> My reading of the patch in question is that it turns off BUILD_NOISY when
> it's Windows and the shell is cmd.

That's about the extent of it. But I'm damned if I can think of any reason
that ought to be done.

> If BUILD_NOISY does the right thing with Win32 and CMD, let's undo that
> change?

BUILD_NOISY has always done the right thing for me on Win32 in the cmd.exe
shell - that is, until 0.55 ;-)
So yes - we definitely need to revert to pre-0.55 behaviour.

(This Windows laptop I'm using while I'm not at home doesn't have a git
client, and I can't be bothered installing one on it. I'll be back home
tomorrow night and will attend to this BUILD_NOISY issue then, if no-one
else has.)

Cheers,
Rob