Jon and Carla Day-Reiner wrote:

> No, the kernel is booting fine from lilo -- APM reports ok when booting, and
> poweroff when I shutdown -h works.  I can suspend if I am in a character
> console, just not in Xwindows. That's where the problems set in.

You are right. I have the same problem. I don't use APM much, but the fix is to
cycling the screen resolution,  after the resume and bad screen appears, by
holding down the Ctrl, Fn, and Alt keys (together) and then pressing the blue -
key and then the blue + key (on the embedded knumeric pad). This will decrease
the screen resolution (- key) and the increase it back (+ key) to 1024x768. In
the process the screen seems to get re-initialised so that everything works
normally.

I just verified this on my machine. The screen is restored to normal, but my
mouse is now screwed - this was not the case before I updated to RedHat 5.2. I'm
building a 2.2 kernel now, so maybe that'll help.

Note that this issue was dealt with a few months back - search Deja-News.

> Jon
>
> On Fri, 08 Jan 1999, you wrote:
> >The kernel support for apm should be fix that.  You set the options that
> >are opened when you set apm and compiled, then put the vmlinuz kernel
> >image in a convenient location, edited the lilo.conf and ran lilo with no
> >errors right?  The only thing I can think of is that you didn't use the
> >new kernel when you boot last.
>
> ---
>   http://nts.ml.org
>   FAQ:                               http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/
>                                      http://nts.ml.org/inspiron/
>   To unsubscribe send a message to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   List administrator:                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

-- Shayne Flint, MIEAust, CPEng        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Ainslie Software Pty Limited    http://www.ainslie-software.com
--
--     AdaJNI - Using Java APIs with Native Ada Compilers