Dear Doug,

This may not be too much help, but I've exactly the same problem with
accessing my parallel port Zip drive using an inspiron 3000, with
slackware 3.6, kernel 2.0.35.

I got the same error message you quote when I initially ran insmod ppa. I
then recompiled the kernel following the instructions in the mini-Howto by
Kyle Dansie, "Zip drive mini-Howto" , August 26 1998, available from

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO

and no doubt elsewhere too.  (Basically, enable scsi support and load ppa
as a module.)  Despite following this and his other instructions closely,
I got the same error message.

Dansie says that if one still gets the error message after recompiling,
then you must have not have recompiled the kernel correctly. While I'll
try redoing it, I'm pretty certain I did it right the first time so I
think it must be something else. Anyhow, he has a lot of useful tips there
which may help you to get it working, though I haven't yet. If you do get
it to work, please post your solution to the inspiron list (as will I).

Paul Feehan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Doug Lewan wrote:

> I'd like to get my ZIP drive attached to my
> inspiron 3200.
>
> However, when I try insmod ppa.o I get
>     ppa.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> I'm running kernel 2.0.34 and lsmod reveals only
>     Module         Pages    Used by
>     serial_cs          1            0
>     xirc2ps_cs         3            1
>     ds                 2    [serial_cs xirc2ps_cs] 4
>     i82365             5            2
>     pcmcia_core        8    [serial_cs xirc2ps_cs ds i82365]        5
>     vfat               4            1
>
> I feel a little confused since none of those
> modules seem to have anything to do with the
> serial port or anything SCSI-like.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> --
> ,Doug
> Doug Lewan
> CSF Corp.
> 732 264 1008 x 6513
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>     Other people talk a lot about the areas of circles,
>     but I'm actual doing something about them.
>       - Dilbert
>

> ---
>   http://nts.ml.org
>   FAQ:                               http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/
>                                      http://nts.ml.org/inspiron/
>   To unsubscribe send a message to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>   List administrator:                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Paul M. N. Feehan
School of Mathematics
Institute for Advanced Study