On Sat, 16 Jan 1999, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> If my pre-compiled kernel didn't work for you and you compile one that
> does, I'd be interested in knowing what changes you made for it to work...

Looking back on the process of getting the 2.2.0-pre6 to work, I realize
that your kernel must have worked as it is--I had simply not properly
reconfigured my lilo right...forgot to tell it which partition was
mounted to root (doh!) I need not have downloaded and compiled my
own. :)

> > [Using Vesa framebuffer and XF86 3.3.3 Xserver is]
> > definitely usable at 1024x768x24bpp, but there are occasional fleeting
> > lines of distortion.
>
> Did you try playing around with the mode lines, or reducing the dot clock
> setting just a bit?  On my (15") screen, there's absolutely no distortion
> ever...

That *did* do the trick. Backing the dotclock down to 72.0 for the 13.3"
1024x768x24bpp left all the sparkle behind.

Much better! Thanks again.

-Shawn

Shawn Stricklin                                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---
  http://nts.ml.org
  FAQ:                               http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/inspiron/
                                     http://nts.ml.org/inspiron/