I am experiencing some really weird problems with the CS4232 sound in my
Inspiron 3200, and I wonder if anyone can shed any light on the matter.

System:

Inspiron 3200
RH 5.1 with all updates installed
self-compiled 2.0.36 kernel with CS4232 as module
Win98 on hda1, linux on hda6.

When I first turn the laptop on and boot linux everything works fine. If I
cd /usr/share/sndconfig and play sample.au, I hear Linus' sentence in all
its glory. If I load X (WindowMaker + GNOME, btw) I can listen to mp3's in
x11amp quite happily. However, if I need to reboot at all (I've been doing a
lot of kernel compilation lately), my sound is screwed after the reboot.
/usr/share/sndconfig/sample.au comes out "Hell..." and is cut off. Upon
playing an mp3 file in x11amp, the first fraction of a second of the mp3
gets stuck in a loop - generally this just sounds like
"chik-chik-chik-chik..." This is identical to a problem described on the
list by Ralph Benzinger last year, and he tells me that he solved it by
purchasing and installing the 4Front OSS package.

Here's where things get strange. I can solve the problem by booting to Win98
and rebooting to Linux. If I do THAT, sound is back to working perfectly.
It's a warm boot out of linux BACK to linux that screws the sound up.

Any ideas anyone?
--

 Simon H. Garlick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Pager: [EMAIL PROTECTED]