I recently decided to recompile my kernel (2.0.35, slackware 3.6 on an
i3000) and enable APM, essentially following Tomasz Barszczak's tips from
his i3000 page. I backup my old /vmlinuz, do a make zdisk to write the
kernel to a floppy and a zImage, and then copy the new zImage to /vmlinuz,
exacty as in the kernel howto.

At this point, though, something weird happens:

When I try to test out the new kernel by booting off the floppy, I see
that APM is loaded as it should be and halt -p gives a power-off, as
expected. *However*, when I try booting up in the usual way with lilo
pointing to my new /vmlinuz on the hard disk, APM is not loaded and halt
-p no longer gives a power-off.

At this point, I thought I must have copied the wrong kernel image.
However, after copying the floppy kernel onto my hard disk a couple of
times and recompiling the kernel again, being extra careful, I still get
the same problem: when booting off a floppy, APM is loaded, but when
booting off the same kernel image on my hard disk, APM is not loaded.

Would anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

PS: Thanks very much to the several people who responded with their
experiences regading backup programs. I haven't had a chance to try any of
those programs out yet...

Paul Feehan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---