On Mar 29, 2011, at 3:32 PM, "Alain Durand" <adur...@juniper.net> wrote:

>> The routing optimization only works if is no IPv4 address overlap.  But of
>> course there will be IPv4 address overlap.  Here is how the routing
>> optimization outright fails -- Alice wants to communicate with Bob.  But she
>> will instead be route-optimized to Carol:

This is a transition mechanism, not a full solution.  If Alice wants to talk to
Bob, she should consider using IPv6.  Indeed, her inability to communicate with
Bob over IPv4 could easily be described as a feature.

Furthermore, if Alice and Bob were both behind NATs, communication between them
would be similarly problematic.  A fairly thoroughly-realized kludge does exist
which works in some cases, but it definitely breaks under at least one CGN
deployment with which I have painful experience.

The bottom line is that transition mechanisms are not, and should not be, held
to the same standards as native internet protocols; if it were, we would have
to make the transition to IPv6 through a flag day.