On 5/29/2013 1:06 PM, Linda Dunbar wrote:
Ron,

I do have a few questions and suggestion about the practices documented in the
draft:

- Section 4.1, second paragraph:
why DF bit "MUST" set to 1  when the payload header has "0"? I would think default should
be same as the "payload" DF setting.

It depends on the goal:

The current mechanism always sets DF=1 so it (GRE) can discover the tunnel MTU.

Setting it to match would expose the endpoint to the overall path MTU, but comes at a risk. If a packet is too big somewhere inside the tunnel, that router will send an ICMP that goes back to the tunnel ingress -- which might not have enough information to relay an ICMP back to the source.

This was discussed here:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-tunnels

(this is still a WG doc, but we didn't get much feedback on the issues back in 2010 - maybe it's time to revive and complete it??)

- There should be two options when the encapsulated data frame
exceeds MTU: a) split the data frame to two smaller frames, with each
frame being encapsulated;

FWIW, fragmentation rarely splits things into equal sizes; it's more typical to split into "max that fits" and "leftover".

Joe