Joe,

> There's no downside to using the existing IP version field here, and
> there are many downsides to using a duplicate field.

> [Lucy] GUE is designed to encapsulate a payload, not just IP payload.
> GUE protocol field needs to support IP payload type because the tunnel
> may require other features such as security, fragmentation, etc.

GUE needs to indicate "IP", to differentiate it from other payload types (e.g.,
signalling, MPLS, etc.).

But there's no reason GUE needs to indicate *in its header* that the payload is
specifically "IPv4" or "IPv6".
[Lucy] since GUE aims to encapsulation for a payload, it needs a payload field.
You suggest that making exception for IPv4 and IPv6, i.e. using first nibble to
determine. I am not sure when the first nibble indicate IPv4, does it mean
Fred's compression case or GUE header with IPv4 payload.

Lucy

Joe