Hi, Hannes,

On 10/09/2015 09:24 AM, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:

> Who is the target audience for this document?

Everyone that may care about firewalls and/or their implications.

> Do you think that audience cares about your opinion particularly since
> firewalls are around for a little while already? (One might argue that
> you are about 20 years late with this document.)

I don't think I could possibly assess what the audience (as a whole)
cares about. Besides, I don't have much of a big ego to expect people to
care what *I* think. What I *can* tell is that a number of people have
already expressed that they found the document to be valuable. And I
would expect people to care about the topic and the content of the
document, regardless of who happens to be the author.

Regarding the timeliness... I guess that, because firewalls *are*
being deployed for v6, we have the "luxury" of doing things right this
time.

> Aren't you worried that readers might think you are a bit biased? I
> would be more interested to read a document written by an end-host-based
> firewall manufacturer that argues for the deployment of network-based
> firewalls.

To be honest, what would really worry me would be if, rather than
focusing on the technical content of the I-D, people fall into
"argumentum ad hominem" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem) --
particularly if they are speculations.

(FWIW, I never bought the argument that "the security paradigm will move
from network centric to host centric" -- both because (for years) it has
not been network centric (but rather mixed host/network-centric) and
because I don't find any concrete and compelling reasons for which that
will change. However, such argument is not the focus of this document
(at least, not yet). I'd say that both kinds of firewalls serve a
different (and rather complimentary) purpose.)

That said, if you find any bias or room for improvement in the document,
please do let us know.

> PS: The recommendations do not appear to be new and have been mentioned
> in other documents already.

FWIW, the recommendations will be moved out into a separate document.

Thanks!

Best regards,
--
Fernando Gont