Hello,

At the Chicago WG meeting I made a request that ILA be taken up as a
WG item in int-area. The WG chairs and AD requested that we raise a
discussion on the list about what else is needed to be done for ILA
(Identifier Locator Addressing draft-herbert-nvo3-ila-04). The
question was also raised if int-area is the right WG for ILA or if it
should have a BOF.

The current draft of ILA describes the data plane and addressing, a
model for ILA for ILA routing and network topology, several use case
scenarios on how ILA might be applied, a format for identifiers to
allow different types of identifiers and checksum neutral mapping. As
I mentioned we intend to make the last one optional so that
administrators can choose how structure the 64 bit identifiers as they
see fit-- this will be reflected in the next version of the draft.

The draft explicitly does not define a specific control plane (e.g.
routing protocol) for ILA and I don't think that it should. IMO ILA
would be better served to allow various methods that are protocol
generic where ILA could be a use case of those mechanisms. For
instance, draft-lapukhov-bgp-ila-afi-02 describes and extension for
BGP. Similarly, if a protocol agnostic control plane is developed in
IDEAS or in nvo3, then ILA could be one use case for those. I would
think the control plane seems more appropriate to be in routing area
than int-area.

As for what is still missing in the core ILA draft, besides making
typed identifiers optional, I think it is fairly complete for the data
plane description. It is being deployed in a least on datacenter for
network virtualization, and it is being discussed as part of a
solution to support IP mobility (see 5GandIP discussions).

Tom