Alvaro,

Thanks for the review. Comments inline......

                     Ron

[RB ]
Good catch. In version 10 the description will say "MUST be set to 0 and MUST
be ignored on receipt".

> (2) The Request includes 2 fields (Identifier and Sequence Number) that are
> used “to aid in matching Extended Echo Replies to Extended Echo Requests”.
> Their use seems to be a local matter (as the values are simply copied in to
> the
> Reply.  Can you please provide guidance on their use?  Why are there 2 fields
> (and not just a single one)?  I’m assuming/hoping that the design had use
> cases in mind that can be reflected in the document.
[RB ]
Appendix A describes the PROBE application. In version 10, I will add a
sentence describing how the Identifier and Sequence Number are used.

> (3) It would be nice to set up a registry for the Reserved fields.
[RB ]
Are you talking about the reserved fields whose value MUST be equal to 0 and
MUST be ignored upon receipt?

Or are you talking about the following text:

      Protocol Flag Bit mappings are as
      follows: Bit 0 (IPv4), Bit 1 (IPv6), Bit 2 (Ethernet), Bits 3-15
      (Reserved).

If the later, that text has been removed. It was an artifact from a very early
version of the draft.

> (4) I’m not sure I understand the use/intention of the L-bit.  The description
> says that it is used (on the Request) to indicate whether the probed
> interfaces resides on the proxy node (or not).  How does the originator of
> the Request know that information?  The other function of this bit seems to
> be to control how the Interface Identification Object can identify the probed
> interface…while it seems to make sense that a probed interface that doesn’t
> reside on the proxy node would only be identified by it’s address, it still
> makes me wonder how the sender of the Request would know, and why it
> even matters that it does and that it indicates it to the proxy node.

[RB ]
The L-Bit helps to identify the probed node by specifying whether it resides on
the proxy node or is directly connected to the proxy node. In at least one
case, it is required for disambiguation.

For example, assume that a proxy node has two interfaces, ge-0/0/0.0 and
ge-0/0/0.1. Both links have IPv6 link local addresses. The local side of
ge-0/0/0.0 has the address fe80::dead:beef and the remote side of ge-0/0/0.1
has the same IPv6 link local address. If the ICMP Extended Echo Request
identifies the probed interface by address, the L-bit disambiguates between the
two similarly numbered interfaces.