> On Jul 29, 2018, at 10:29 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swm...@swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018, Joe Touch wrote:
>
>> You’re engaging in a game of escalation - whatever layer you add
>> fragmentation will end up being a layer that a vendor puts a device that
>> does DPI that fails.
>
> Yes, but I can filter those UDP packets by looking in the UDP header, that's
> all the DPI I need in that box. It doesn't need to understand the
> upper-protocol level fragmentation, because I do not require it to understand
> that protocol at all. I just need for it to understand that it's UDP and look
> at the UDP port number.

Right. You need just UDP ports right now for YOUR DPI.

Others need to look at the payload (the D in DPI).

> The biggest mistake of TCP and UDP combined with IP level fragmentation is
> that the port information isn't available in every packet.

The biggest mistake of protocol X with X-1 level fragmentation is that the
entire headers of X aren’t available in every X-1 packet.

Replace X with your favorite protocol and you’ll see how and why this can’t
continue to work. The packets would eventually burst with all the headers.

Joe