Hi Dirk,

On 25.01.22 08:19, Dirk Trossen wrote:

Hence, I would suggest that any answers to the question above ought to be guided by what we (as users) want from the network, e.g., in terms of reachability, privacy, security, exposure of desired capabilities and possibly more.

The orthodoxy here is the seminal work of Shoch[1]. And of course there's Saltzer et al.[2]  The assumptions being made today by different players are indeed all over the map.  Routing is a function of the network.  Or is it?  Privacy is something the endpoint must manage.  Or is it?  So I like your approach for discussion.

Eliot

[1] http://www.postel.org/ien/txt/ien19.txt
[2] http://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/endtoend/endtoendA4.pdf