On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 8:11 AM Templin (US), Fred L
<Fred.L.Templin=40boeing....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> Tom, thinking more about this IPv6 does not verify header checksums at every
> hop – only at the
>
> final destination. So, how would it be if we simply made header checksum
> verification a SHOULD
>
> at intermediate hops but a MUST at the final destination?

Fred,

So if I understand correctly, this would be validating the TCP and UDP
checksum at intermediate hops? Frankly, that's going to be a hard sell
to router vendors, they don't generally have the capability to compute
those checksums. Also, it's not guaranteed that a TCP and UDP checksum
are guaranteed to be maintained to be correct while the packet is
inflight. I believe in current specifications this For instance,
draft-mizrahi-spring-l4-checksum-srv6-00 would potentially make
checksums incorrect while packets are inflight.

Tom