Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2018-11-19 19:18:52)

> On 19/11/2018 16:18, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2018-11-19 15:33:56)

> >> With the memory pressure subtest, the second patch in this series, it
> >> was make it or break it to have the nops. Without them it was GPU hangs
> >> all around, and with them so far all clean.
> >
> > First machine bsw, just applying patch 2/2,
> >
> > IGT-Version: 1.23-gb6b8d829 (x86_64) (Linux: 4.20.0-rc2+ x86_64)
> > Using Execlists submission
> > Ring size: 131 batches
> > Starting subtest: wide-all
> > wide: 420 cycles: 24121.034us
> > Subtest wide-all: SUCCESS (47.060s)
> > Starting subtest: wide-contexts
> > wide: 340 cycles: 24893.896us
> > Subtest wide-contexts: SUCCESS (22.265s)
> > Starting subtest: wide-contexts-mempressure
> > wide: 232 cycles: 25153.899us
> > Subtest wide-contexts-mempressure: SUCCESS (23.141s)
> >
> > :|
>
> Yes, I think what I had before I cleaned up the test case was more
> copy&paste of the memory pressure thread from gem_syslatency - including
> the rtprio and multithreadedness. So I was possibly starving the
> tasklets and who knows what not, as well as applying memory pressure.
> However, fact still is adding nops to the spinner made even that monster
> pass repeatedly. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

I am a bit nervous about using the noops to avoid the issue, as I
presume that there is a more realistic workload that could generate
similar system latencies, i.e. that there exists a pathological case
that users will hit for similar stalls (gem shrinker perchance).
-Chris