On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 20:48:06 +0000
Parav Pandit <pa...@mellanox.com> wrote:

> > From: Alex Williamson <alex.william...@redhat.com>

> > something like:

> > {

> > > How many are we expecting? I envisioned handful of them.
> > > It carries because parent is few, mdevs are several hundreds.
> > > It makes sense to keep few copies, instead of several hundred copies
> > > and it doesn't need to setup on every mdev creation.
> >
> > It does need setup on every mdev creation, it's just a matter of the scope,
> > 'id
> > and ops' vs 'id only' vs 'ops with implicit id'.  The other argument is
> > assuming a
> > space vs time trade-off that I'm having a hard time judging is necessarily
> > the
> > correct approach.  We potentially have better data locality in the mdev
> > device
> > structure vs the parent.  The caching of the ops structure itself is
> > separate from
> > how we get to it.
> > We might have hundreds of pointers to those ops structure, but the space
> > trade-off might we worth it if they're on the same cacheline as the mdev
> > device itself vs the indirection via the parent.
> >
> > I see a couple other drawbacks to the parent hosted ops pointers as well.
> > First,
> > it imposes that per parent there can only be one device ops structure per
> > class
> > id, but who's to say that different types of mdev devices for a given
> > parent all
> > make the same callbacks into the parent.
> We should have driver who intent to use different device ops for each
> device with single parent that supports this claim.

Why?  Are we not allowed to identify restrictions implied by a given
proposal if we don't yet have a user?  I can't subscribe to that.

>  For instance, for a vfio-mdev we
> > already support the concept of an iommu backing device which makes
> > the type1 iommu code behave a little differently.  Those
> > differences might be sufficient that the parent driver would
> > register a different device ops structure for an iommu backed mdev
> > vs a non-iommu backed device.
> I am not sure if this is really worth it.
> Which driver should I look which has if-else conditions sprinkled in
> these callbacks for different iommu types? If majority code is same,
> adding few branches looks ok vs creating new ops all together. So I
> need to educate myself first with the driver which desires this. Any
> pointers?

While the iommu backed vfio-mdevs is real, the example that a parent
driver might choose to register different device ops based on that is
theoretical.  Parent drivers don't have that option today, but as we're
making the device ops more modular and have stumbled onto this benefit
of per device ops, perhaps it might be useful.  The "is it worth it"
question can also be asked of the claimed benefits of a set of shared
devices ops per parent.

> > The other
> > drawback is that it implies a binary difference in all mdev parent
> > drivers to add any new device ids.  I know we don't guarantee
> > binary compatibility, but it's rather ugly.
> >
> Yeah, we don't support and there is no requirement for binary
> compatibility.
>
> > Overall, I guess I tend to prefer Connie's proposal, the class id
> > and structure are tied together and the parent driver is only
> > responsible for one of them, the class id is hidden away in
> > mdev-core and the mdev driver itself.
> I am fine with Cornelia's approach.
> It comes with small cost of additional symbols and it is probably ok.
> I just find it over engineered given handful of dev ops types.

If the device ops types are limited, then so are the additional
symbols.  Those symbols also add a degree of explicitness to the
interface (ie. register this device as vfio-mdev with this set of
vfio-mdev-ops, versus register this device as vfio-mdev... which uses
the vfio-mdev-ops over in the parent ops structure).  I don't really
see what's over-engineered about former.  I like to think of Rusty's
old interface guidelines, particularly the one about making it
difficult to use incorrectly for these sorts of interfaces.  Thanks,

Alex